Kelty Trekker for meat hauling

Greyman

I'm getting geared up for an elk hunt in coastal Oregon, my first. This won't be a true backcountry hunt, we will be sleeping in my truck camper at night, is so I don't need to haul a lot of gear in. Hopefully my adult son and me will be hauling out some meat. I'm trying to keep my costs low and I already have an old school red Kelty Trekker. Has anyone ever rigged one of these with a shelf on the frame to haul meat? How did it work out for you if you did?

Thanks!

I did. It sucked. Buy a better pack. My MR Metclaf did a bicnh of animals this year with great results.

I sold my Metcalf last week. Going back to an external frame for humping meat. I used a kelty tioga (just the frame) for years. Tie the quarters or bundled meat high on a pack frame...only way to go. Anybody that disputes this method hasn't been packing meat that long.��

If your day packs can handle some meat on the 1st trip to the truck, then grab pack frames for the later loads. I'd rather carry heavy loads on a frame w a good belt and straps than w an internal frame. My pack frame is lighter than my internal frame pack, as well. No shelf needed for the pack frame.

I really don't think you'd have any issues. Although they weren't elk, I did pack out two whitetails and an antelope a combined 7 miles with no issues with my internal frame Kelty Redcloud. Yeah, a Mystery Ranch would be nice, but they're damn expensive. If it's your first hunt, get by with what you have. Then you'll know what you want when you're ready to spend more money.

If you don't have the funds then don't sweat it. My brother has packed probably 12 dall sheep and a few moose in his internal frame and never snivels meanwhile I show up in all the fancy gear and whine LOL. Do the newer style "meat shelf" packs haul better? Sure but don't let using an older pack stop you. You'll be just fine.

I appreciate the input guys. My old red, external frame, Kelty Trekker and I have done some trips together. I'd hate to leave her behind. I'll just pull the bag off and strap the meat to the frame. I just wondered if someone had used the same pack frame and how it worked out.

Thanks again

You'll be fine. Bungee cords help a bunch strapping things down. Would you pack it bone out or in?

You'll be fine. Bungee cords help a bunch strapping things down. Would you pack it bone out or in?

I'm thinking of boning it out. Those Roosevelt elk are huge! The only thing close to the size that I've killed was a nilgai in south Texas. I was able to part him out and use a game cart though. The Coastal Range there in Oregon is a whole different ball game.

I guess it depends on where I drop one. If it's not a bad haul, I might just strap it to the frame and go. If it's way back or in a real nasty area, boning it out sounds like the way to go.

I’ve packed out several elk with a kelty super tioga. Works great. It does have a meat shelf. I bought a nice pack last year to backpack hunt out of and not much difference when it comes to heavy loads. Having the pack adjusted right and the weight up high enough is the key. Good luck!

The Kelty framed packs do pretty well for meat hauling. The belts have a couple issues, but overall not bad at all. If you strip the packbag off I'd recommend one or two ratchet straps for securing meat.

You can replace the hipbelt and really improve those frames.

If its an older pack make sure the straps aren't rotten. :) Otherwise go for it. Packing heavy loads sucks no matter what pack you have, some packs just make it suck less.

If its an older pack make sure the straps aren't rotten. :) Otherwise go for it. Packing heavy loads sucks no matter what pack you have, some packs just make it suck less.

Well said. Make sure you check to make sure the clasps aren't brittle as well. Most decent brands use high quality plastics, but I've had some cheapo packs break on me. It's not a bad idea to bring a couple extra with you just in case.

I have packed a few elk a few miles with several different packs. My current preference is for an external frame because it feels solid and does a better job of letting air circulate between my back and the meat. Last year my cheap ($150) internal frame pack failed (stays pushed through the material in the bottom of the pack after maybe a dozen trips and a couple animals packed) which put all the weight on my shoulders for the remainder of the hike. My cheap ($100) external frame pack is wearing through (plastic reinforcement in the hip belt is wearing through the nylon material) after about the same amount of use (dozen trips, couple elk). My wife has packed several elk in her Kelty (see pic below) and her pack seems to be in great shape after years of use and dozens of trips. My biggest complaint about most hunting (ie camo) packs is that they are relatively heavy due to unnecessary features like extra pockets and zippers. Some day I will drop some serious cash on a Stone Glacier or something similar.20180916_123414(1).jpg

Having the pack adjusted right and the weight up high enough is the key.

I agree with the weight up high if you are on a good trail. If you are climbing up/down rocks or over deadfall or on steep declines, having the weight up high will cost you a lot in stability. Worst case, causing you to fall and injure yourself or best case, burning a lot of calories with your stabilizing muscles.

I agree with the weight up high if you are on a good trail. If you are climbing up/down rocks or over deadfall or on steep declines, having the weight up high will cost you a lot in stability. Worst case, causing you to fall and injure yourself or best case, burning a lot of calories with your stabilizing muscles.

Yea I agree there are situations having it to high can hurt but if you stick a 80 pound elk ham in the bottom of most packs like these it looks like you’re being pulled backwards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back