Acclimatization, coming from mid-west.

Brauee20

My dad and I are headed to Colorado first rifle granted that we draw. He's been out before but this is my first trip. He's our acclimatization strategy, suggestions welcome.

For information, he'll be 60 and will be in as good as shape as a retired 60 year old will be. He was hiking 6-8 miles a day almost daily in prep for our antelope this past fall. He's talking about getting a mountain bike and a stair climber.

The unit we are looking at in Colorado is all 8k+ in elevation, this is my concern. If we could find somewhere to camp around 7 I wouldn't have a worry. Neither of us snore, or have apnea.

Our plan:

Hoping to draw doe antelope in eastern or southern Wyoming. This will give us a couple days at 5-6k ft prior to shuffling up to 8,000 in Colorado, instead of jumping directly from the 700ft at home. Neither of us were beat or got winded during our hunt last year but that was only around 5000ft.

Once we get to our unit in Colorado, 2-3 days prior to opener we'll make camp and do some short 2 mile or so scouting trips taking it easy while we acclimate at 8-9,000 ft. Doing some reading we should be drinking lots of water in the couple weeks prior to leaving as well as once we get there. Diamox, should we get a script from our Dr.'s for peace of mind? I've read to eat a bunch of tums with that stuff?

Canned oxygen, like boost, does it work? Obviously we won't be just ripping through the stuff, but I don't mind packing one or two around if a couple shots of the stuff helps during a grueling stretch.

Anything else we should be doing besides getting into the best shape we can be, drinking water, and taking it relatively easy for the first couple days?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are thinking ahead and will be just fine. With regard to altitude and athletics there are two different things going on 1. Actual altitude sickness which is unrelated to fitness and just effects some more than others, I've had friends fly out from Boston, and the next morning be hiking at 13+ and have no issues, diamox would help if you knew you were one of those people that had a rough time with altitude and started taking it a day before your hunt. 2. Overall fitness and recreating at a high altitude, whatever training you do you will be hiking terrain way steeper than you are used to and with less oxygen, getting winded quicker than you are used to is just part of the game. If you are really noticing the altitude and feeling out of breath consider camping at a lower altitude.

As you already mentioned, drink lots of water, skip the alcohol, and keep in mind that thousands of people come out to Colorado to ski and play in the mountains going from 0 to 10k+ with no acclimatization and don't have any issues.

I think the oxygen probably works but I don't know anyone that has ever used it.

Good plans. If you do the altitude sickness pills follow the script precisely and take them for the 2 days after you get back to the Midwest as well. I skipped that part and got very sick after getting back to Iowa after a trip to the Maroon Bells for 5 days of hiking several passes. The pills made me more thirsty which is fine so that I drink more water, and they also make carbonated beer and soda taste terrible.

You have a good plan and are doing about as much as you can to get yourself ready. I'm a flatlander too. Been to Colorado a bunch of times for for hunting and skiing and thankfully never had any issues with altitude. I did take Diamox a few times but never noticed a difference, may have helped or may not have but I didn't have any side effects so I don't see a reason not to try it. I can't really see the canned oxygen doing much as you will use it up fast.

Good luck!

we hunt in montana and have had a few minor issues with altitude. from what I have read it is due to our blood thickening due to less oxygen. we took baby asprin this year, few times a day, never had an issue. good luck with the hunt.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I am a whopping 200 feet above sea level down here so I'm sure I'll be sucking wind the whole time.

I've gone through altitude sickness heading to CO to ski in Summit County twice. Those lessons and hospitalizations have influenced my hunting plans for each subsequent trip for the unit I hunt very near Summit Co each year. I have a pretty consistent process which has helped me avoid altitude sickness when hunting the very high country during 1st season. First, I spend a full day in Denver without significant physical exertion. The following day I head to my camp location, set up camp, and again spend a day without significant physical exertion. My camp is at 10,200 and I hunt up to about 12,700. The next day is typically the day before season opener and I use the day to glass bowls and chutes while only exerting a limited amount. On opener I usually either have a herd located and make a play or spend the day climbing and glassing treeline bowls; opener is the first day I push my lungs at all. If I haven't filled by the end of the first day of season I go hard from that point on.

Two days prior to heading to CO I begin drinking significantly more water than I normally do at home on the prairie and drink about three times as much water while in CO as at home. Since implementing this process I have not experienced significant altitude sickness.

If you do take Diamox, make sure you read up on the side effects beforehand so you don't freak out when you're on the mountain and cant feel your hands or face. Also take immodium with it, or you might end up leaning on a tree when you should be shooting a giant mountain goat.

oooh, I forgot about the tinglies in my hands, that's a weird feeling. Fortunately I have never had a need for immodium!

If you do take Diamox, make sure you read up on the side effects beforehand so you don't freak out when you're on the mountain and cant feel your hands or face. Also take immodium with it, or you might end up leaning on a tree when you should be shooting a giant mountain goat.

My highest apologies, as I literally laughed out loud at your expense tonight Randy 11;)

I live in the Midwest and hunt out west almost every year. Altitude affects everyone differently. I personally would not start taking Diamox, side affects that I don't need for a problem that I might not have. With your plan of gradual acclimation, I don't see where you'll need any Diamox. I hunt between 8k-10k and only start feeling weird when I get over 10k, for whatever reason.

We don't acclimate at all either, we drive straight thru the night from Missouri, setup camp mid afternoon and go hunt that evening. Do plenty of cardio for preparation, but also know this - No amount of training will adequately prepare you for elk hunting in the mountains due to the lack of oxygen and the steep terrain. I've found that it takes me about 3 days out there to "find my mountain legs". After day 3 I don't get winded nearly as fast, but I'm sore everywhere else :)

-Mitch

Thanks for the solid advice everyone! Sounds like we'll pass on the Diamox, and just plan on backing down if we are feeling adverse.

We've got like two weeks scheduled for our trip so we've got time not to rush things.

I live in New Orleans, which is below sea level, and travel to Chama every year to chase Elk. I stay in Chama at 7800 feet, and the Ranch is uphill from there. Highest altitude I hit (depending on the Ranch) is 10500. Best thing I do is go up a week early, an try to adjust. I also use Wilderness Athlete products, namely their Hydrate & Recover (add to water), and Altitude Advantage pills.
I feel much better when taking the supplements, and don't have any ill effects of the Altitude other than trying to catch my breath. It seems the longer I am there, the easier it gets to catch my breath. Just don't over exert yourself the first day or two at altitude, and if you feel really bad (headaches, nausea) get to a lower elevation and rest. You said something about camping at 7000 after hunting higher up. That's a great way to let your body recover. Good Luck !!

The only real cure for actual altitude sickness (HAPE) is dropping down in altitude. Pay attention to what your body is telling you, severe altitude sickness can be fatal, if you're really not feeling well you need to lose some altitude quick...

Last edited:
FWIW i had serious altitude sickness at 12,500 feet last year and skipped the necessary acclimatization time. I found the extra few 1000's feet made a massive difference and really i should have allowed 3 days extra acclimatization i.e. 5 days instead of 2. I guess my advice is be cautious and allow plenty of time to acclimatize. Especially if you live at sea level like me!

Theres a reason why mountain climbers at places such as Everest make base camp at a lower elevation for a week prior to climbing to the summit. They need that time to acclimate to the higher elevation. So what's happening to the body to acclimate? Simple, the body is producing more red blood cells to be able to carry more oxygen. No level of fitness is going to help you with that. A simple week up in higher altitude will do it.

As the previous post stated acclimation is linked to red blood cells. Red blood cells more specifically hemoglobin are what actually carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of your body. At elevation the oxygen concentration of air rapidly decreases, so your body compensates by increasing the red blood cells available to make the most use of every available oxygen molecule. The life of a RBC is give or take 90 days so if you want to truly hit the ground running, go spend a week at elevation scouting about 2 months before your hunt. Dont overdo it on the first trip either. As posted severe elevation sickness is bad stuff, it's not common at elevations that people frequent but I suppose if you drove from Ohio to the top of pikes peak and tried to run a mile you'd likely not fare to well.

Last edited:
I would not take the diamox if your gonna be below 10,000 feet. I took a low dose on a sheep hunt above 12,000 and my hands vibrated. I really think you will be fine with your current acclimation plan and lots of water, rollaids, aspirin and advil.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back