Acclimatization, coming from mid-west.

You guys should do as much cardio as you can stand, the better shape your heart and lungs are in the better you'll adjust when exerting yourself in the thin air. Staying hydrated does also help. Although I've never tried it, I have heard that takin iron supplements for a couple weeks beforehand can also help.

You try taking ibuprofen a day or two before your head out and then continue the first couple days at
altitude.

FWIW your plan to take the time for gradual ascent sounds like a great plan. My last trip from Iowa to CO we spent the first night in Denver then went up to 7-8K feet and camped while hunting 8K feet for a few days, and then went on up to 10K feet to camp/hunt and none of our group of 4 had any issues. I'm sure it would have been better/safer if we had more time to acclimate as you are planning. None of our group the world's greatest athletes either but as others have said that has less to do with altitude sickness than general ability to tolerate physical exertion.

Conversely, I've flown out to Denver b4 then went straight up to 10k feet for skiing and staying in a friend's condo at 9K feet and had issues with headaches.

We're planning a hunt this year as well, and will likely attempt a similar strategy....overnight in Denver, then up to 8k-9k for a couple days of scouting/glassing limiting our exertion b4 ascending up to 10K+ to hunt.

No body knows the answer you are asking. Altitude affects everyone differently. I know my heart pumps harder because I hear it rustling my sleeping bag while I am trying to sleep. I don't have much of an appetite but can't seem to drink enough. Take precautions given here and be prepared but truthfully you won't know until you are there.

Hello Clay,
Did you get a script from your doctor or is there something over the counter? Thanks

Back