Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Mule Deer 12 Preference Points GMU 53 or 54

DeeJay

Howdy-

A buddy and I both have 12 PP for mule deer in Colorado. We are considering GMU 53 and 54. It looks like we are likely to draw if we put in for 4th season.

Any opinions out there on which is a better choice?

Regards - Dan

I don't know where you got your intel on PP's needed to get a 4rth season tag. But, I am looking at a resource right now that Randy promotes that says it will take at least 20PP's in the 4rth season to draw a tag in 53 and more in 54.

Last edited:
I’ve hunted an adjoining unit and saw some giants last yr early season. I think all that gunnison valley country is good for deer. I would just make sure there was good winter range in either unit for the 4th season

Thanks all...To clarify, yes, we are residents. It looks like there are pretty good options for public land in late season in both units.

If anyone has hunted these GMU's, it'd be great to hear from you. Thanks.

I outfitted on the western side of unit 53 for 8 years and it seemed most deer were down lower that time of year, which consisted of mostly private land. I haven't spent much time in 54 though.

I outfitted on the western side of unit 53 for 8 years and it seemed most deer were down lower that time of year, which consisted of mostly private land. I haven't spent much time in 54 though.
I’m be hunting muzzleloader for deer in 53 this year any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

I don’t know much about those units but for 4th season mountain deer definitely pay attention to lower elevation and availability of public land. That can always be an issue during the late seasons. A lot of lower elevation areas are private land. Just something to make sure you look out for.

Back