Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What to do with CO elk points??

Mikestaten

I'll have 13 points in Colorado this year as a non-resident. However, I don't know anyone with points and doing a DIY solo hunt isn't likely at this point. I'm accumulating points in other states with my nephew so will do a DIY hunt with him every few years.

My question is, would you try to find someone with a similar number of points and do a DIY CO elk hunt with them or just hire an outfitter and go alone? I guess I could split the difference and do a drop camp by myself but then the costs wouldn't be that far off from a fully guided hunt.

You and I are somewhat in no mans land. I have 9 points. I debate on whether to keep accumulating in the hopes of a change in the draw process. But, hope doesn't seem like the best strategy. I hunt archery OTC in CO. So, the points have just been me putting in for that unit 1,2,201, 10 hunt that will likely never come.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm in your boat, I think. I really don't have an answer for you.

Welcome to the forum!

I have 12 points, so I'm in the same boat. We will never get to hunt a premium unit, but this will likely be the best hunt you will ever be able to have in Colorado. I wouldn't take the chance of letting hunting with someone that I didn't know ruin what is essentially a once in a lifetime hunt. For me that would mean hunting alone DIY and maybe asking a buddy to tag along. Sounds like for you, that might mean hiring an outfitter.

Maybe find an area where your nephew could draw a cow tag or deer tag to go with your bull tag. Or find somebody that wants a free ride and half an elk in exchange for their help on the hunt.

Maybe find an area where your nephew could draw a cow tag or deer tag to go with your bull tag. Or find somebody that wants a free ride and half an elk in exchange for their help on the hunt.

This sounds like a good plan.

I wish I only had 9-10 pts. I wouldn't be wasting points/money drawing a mid tier unit.
The other questions is: do you know the unit/area you are going to hunt? Has someone you know told you where to hunt in the unit or you going in basically blind? You hunting from the truck or need horses? From your question, it sounds that you're questioning what unit to go into. Then you got to decide if you want to pay for a outfitter for his knowledge or go home empty after 13 years. 5 days for 1st rifle isn't a long season to figure out where the elk are. If you got good info of where to go, I'd have no problem hunting alone. As long as I can get into the area and get a animal out by myself.

Doesn't sound like your comfortable going solo.So of your other 2 choices, I'd use a guide.Dont know what you'd get finding a partner on line.Could be great or could be hell.One things for sure is he'd have 14 years invested into the tag as well.Obviously you'd both want to make the most out of it which may test a partnership.The guide is 100% there for you.Getting a cow tag for a family member sounds like a perfect idea
You'll never catch the big trophy units anytime soon.I hunted in 49 and think you can draw 1st rifle there.You could easily do that hunt solo and road camping.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back