L/H or R/H

I am so cross dominant I can't even close my left eye while leaving my right open. LOL
:) Me too except my right eye is so blind it might as well be closed. Somehow the DMV lets me get away with it. It might be easier if you to shoot with the non-dominant eye if the eyes are close to the same or closer to ambidextrous handed, but that is not my story.

Hey folks i'm thinking about getting into archery buy need some advice. I am RH dominant w Left eye dominant, which hand bow would you recommend? R/H and shoot with both eyes open? or L/H and shoot with my dominant eye? Thanks in advance..

My wife is a semi-southpaw too. She does everything right handed but is left eye dominant, so she made a concerted effort to go 100% left handed with everything shooting wise. She's since picked up a Hoyt southpaw Powermax and a lefthand savage 7mm-08 and shoot's really well with both after some practice. Heck, I even bought her a handgun with an ambi thumb safety (Smith 380 EZ) and she shoots that just fine.

After watching her excel at making the switch, I'd definitely recommend trying a few lefty bows. She said it felt pretty funny at first, but after a few dozen arrows downrange she's 100% comfortable with the setup.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I have the same problem...appears there are a lot of us out there.. I tried shooting righty but my groups were much better lefty and it felt more comfortable since I shoot a gun lefty..

Just sucks when testing bows since dealers don’t carry that many left handed bows.

I have the same problem...appears there are a lot of us out there.. I tried shooting righty but my groups were much better lefty and it felt more comfortable since I shoot a gun lefty..

Just sucks when testing bows since dealers don’t carry that many left handed bows.

Come to AZ. A Hoyt rep came to the local shop last year to show off their new line and at least 1/2 of the folks there were lefties. We've dubbed Phoenix the "Valley of the Southpaw". All the shops around here stock a bunch of left handed bows just because of the high number of southpaws that seem to be in the area

I am so cross dominant I can't even close my left eye while leaving my right open. LOL

That is exactly my wife's situation.

I've seen this problem play out many times over the years with both archers and rifle shooters. It will feel awkward at first but in the long run you won't regret using the hand that lines up with your dominant eye. Go lefty.

Come to AZ. A Hoyt rep came to the local shop last year to show off their new line and at least 1/2 of the folks there were lefties. We've dubbed Phoenix the "Valley of the Southpaw".

Every single one of my buddies shoots south paw, some are cross dominant some are actually lefty... kinda weird all things considered.

Same here. I'm left handed but right eye dominant. Never knew a thing about eye dominance 40 years ago and wish I would have gotten started out shooting right handed. I've adapted and learned to shoot left handed (and do OK) but rarely feel I have a good sight picture. I tried to switch much later and it was so awkward I've stuck with left handed. You'll be a better shot if you use your dominant eye.

I am the same way. I started out shooting right handed and just closing my left eye when shooting. After a few years I made the switch to left hand and I'm really glad I did. I am now a much better shooter with both eyes open.

If you make the switch, start with really low poundage to develop the muscle memory, and slowly crank it back up over time. It took me several months to get up to speed, but then it felt totally natural and I was shooting well.

If you're starting from scratch you should definitely go with your dominant eye. If you're weighing a change, that's a tougher choice. If the muscle memory of shooting is already there it may just be worth closing your dominant eye when shooting.

Back