Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Elk 39 or 41?

Red4225

What’s your opinion? I have a decent shot at a rifle 39 or archery 39 tag, and an even better chance at a rifle 41 tag. Any Wyoming gurus believe one is much better than the other? I like the lower tag numbers in 39. Is the archery tag in 39 a better hunt than the rifle tag? Any one with any experience on these hunts? Looking for the best experience/ adventure, not necessarily the biggest bull. Willing to exchange AZ info. Thanks!

The plus factor for the 39-9 tag is that the Type 1 tags can't hunt the September archery season like they can in 41. The negative factor if size matters to you is that 39 is a much smaller unit than 41. I've been scouting in both and would probably pick 39 and hunt way up in the northeast part not too far from the Montana border.

Interesting thread. I'm considering going solo in 39-1 this year as well. Sounds like a set of tire chains and a good snow shovel might be coming along. When the inevitable snow hits, do the elk drop lower to the valleys and flats to the west end of the zone or do they tend to pack up and head north into the Crow land across the border?

I've always found archery hunting elk to be a more enjoyable hunt.Less hunters around,vocal bulls willing to respond to calling,better weather.Finding elk in mid Sept is as easy as it ever gets during any hunting seasons.With exception of special late season tags on wintering grounds.Unit 41 has a bit of wilderness in it and would think that would take a lot of elk off the accessible list for a NR in archery season.
I was really considering 39 this year then went a different direction.There seems to be ALOT of internet chatter about it this year.You may want to have at least 5 points to try and draw that type 1 tag this year.My decision was based on the fact I had a few points more then necessary and fact that weather in rifle season could be a HUGE PROBLEM.Not sure what points are needed for the type 9 tag, but if it was me, that's the tag I'd want of all your choices.Unit 39 has a deer and cow elk hunt going on for 2 weeks before the type 1 season opens.That will make finding a really good bull in that season pretty tough I'd imagine.But from all I've read is it's loaded with elk.So type 9 season offers only archery elk hunters hunting,uneducated elk,rutting bulls and much lower odds of being snowed off the unit.Think your odds at a nice bull will be much higher with type 9.If you'd shoot any bull and enjoy sitting behind glass then type 1 is your choice.
If you go with 41, I highly suggest you make friends with a resident that can get you back into the wilderness.Im sure there's plenty of elk off wilderness during rifle season,but your restricting yourself to only half the unit

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back