MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting Javelina in Arizona.

bennirio

I am going to the sunny state of Arizona next month. I have been doing as much research as I can. I've talked to hunters who have been successful and a handful of them have said using a call works really well on them. I have heard that a rabbit distress call works well. I wanted to get the hunttalk forum opinion using calls for these little big game. Thanks

we hunt javelina in AZ every year. Check out some of my previous posts. We like to glass them up the put on a stalk. I'll be in AZ after during the general season this year. Good luck.

The call isn't necessary at all. It's a help if you're archery hunting and spook the herd, then theres a chance that they will return, but in all my years of archery javelina hunting,
I never wished that I had had one. Javelina are pretty hard to spook, so long as you stay down wind. Ive had them walk 2 feet away from me while dressed in street closed
The call is similar to a rabbit in distress call, so one of those may work as well. Either way, javelins imo, are the most fun to hunt out of all the North American animals. Cool little critters.

First time I went we used a call. We thought we knew what tamarack trees they were under so we screamed on a distress call. Within seconds it was coming in on the fight.

Scream the distress call .Try to imitate a wounded baby Pig.
Use our binos ALL DAY.Pigs will be within feet and you won't
see em' until the are in our lap! Use your nose...you can smell
them often times before you see them.Go to You Tube and watch
The videos.You'll be amazed.Good Luck.dirtclod Az.:cool:

Personally I would call only as a last resort... They're not that hard to find. Talk a walk, look for fresh sign... greenish poop, freshly shredded prickly pear, agave plants stripped to pieces, their nasty smell. Then sit down and glass, they won't be far. I shot my pig at about 4 paces with a bow. They have terrible vision, if you keep the wind in your face and move slow you can darn near walk up to them. Look on the southern slopes in the morning as they'll go there to warm up. So many people call now that I find it much less effective, plus if you blow that call those pigs are going to come running at 50 mph right into your face, don't expect them to stand still very long....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back