PEAX Equipment

Sako A7 Big Game/Roughtech pro - impressions?

westernslope

Since I handled one of these in the store I’ve been doing research like crazy. The reviews seem good overall except for some ejection issues. The gun isn’t light, but my other rifles are a Howa and a Weatherby so 7.5 lbs isn’t a big deal.

It’s interesting that the barrel is apparently a heavier contour than a standard A7 rifle (I’m assuming the Roughtech Pro and Big Game rifles are the same). But it’s fluted, so maybe that means the weight difference isn’t huge. I am curious why they’d put a heavier barrel on a rifle that’s specifically for big game hunting (at least according to the name).

How does the rifle feel in the field, apart from being a little heavy? Does the 24.5 inch barrel seem unwieldy? Does it balance well with a scope (I’m thinking I’d put a 2-7x33 Leupold on it to save weight)

Thanks for sharing any thoughts you have!

I just picked one of these up today, obviously haven't had a chance to shoot it or take it to the field. I compared the weight of the A7 to a Tikka superlight at sportsmans, honestly the weight difference wasn't that noticeable. I currently shoot a Tikka and IMO there is a noticeable improvement in "feel", the A7 feels more substantial (in a good way). I do like that the magazine requires you to push up and then use the release as I have accidentally dropped the magazine of the Tikka. I saw the youtube video of the feeding issues and ran some spent casings through mine, didn't have a problem.

I haven't mounted a scope yet. Still trying to decide what to go with mount wise as well as scope. Most likely a 40mm, as of now I don't feel the need to shave a bunch of weight from the rifle.

Hope that helps.

That does help. Honestly I wouldn't know that the barrel was thicker than a standard sporter barrel if I hadn't read it online. In person it felt great, better than my Weatherby Vanguard that I like a lot and weighs about the same (I think).

I actually bought one a few years ago and almost immediately returned it after opening the box and realizing the bottom metal was all plastic/polymer as it was covered in store with a lock mechanism. After quick reviews I determined for that kind of money I expected higher or better quality as some reviews suggested it's a cheap version of the sako model 75 I believe. Basically after further inspection I thought it felt cheap for the money. Jmo

Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking for a stainless rifle with a high quality synthetic stock, and these are available locally for $700 plus tax - cheaper than the Tikka stainless models at the store. I honestly can't find a better deal on the sort of rifle I'm looking for - even if I bought a Howa blued rifle for $450 and put it on a Bell and Carlson stock I'd be looking at spending the same amount of money.

I certainly don't mind plastic, but I'm glad to hear not-so-positive opinions as well. What else would you suggest in my price range? Right now it's hard to resist a stainless rifle with a Bell and Carlson stock (I think it's B&C) for $700, even if it is kind of heavy and is the low end of the Sako product line. I've also considered the Remington Mountain Rifle, which can be had for around $800. Of course there's also Tikka and Savage rifles that come in stainless, but I'd be wanting to restock them eventually.

I don't want to sound like I've already made up my mind and am just looking for validation - I really value your thoughts.

I run one in 300 win mag. Had it side by side with a tikka t3x. Price was pretty close but I liked how the Sako looked and I don't mind the weight difference for the cartridge choice. I do like the mag release setup if you have to take it out. I usually top load it. I see you can buy a metal trigger guard/ bottom metal and bolt shroud. I don't think anyone could argue either the tikka or sako action - and I have not experienced any feed or ejection issues. It feels balanced to me and the barrel length works for where I hunt.

these are available locally for $700 plus tax
...looks to be about a hundred less than a few caliber specific offerings. Think they're usually just over a grand. 700 +tax is less than half of what a new Sako goes for. The synthetic bottom wouldn't bother me at that price. I've handled em & liked...

I'd double down on that. Plastic bottom pieces would have discouraged me a handful of years ago, but today's plastics are pretty great.

I'm probably going to go for it. My only hesitation is the barrel - I'm afraid I'll regret having a heavier contour barrel up front. It's hard to get a sense in the store of how a rifle will feel in the field. I would be interested to compare the weight of the 24" fluted medium barrel on the Sako with the 24" #2 barrel on my Weatherby.

I've got an A7 "Varmint" in .243 I use mainly for pronghorn. It shoots well and carries fine. Plastic bottom "metal" has not been an issue.

One item to note, magazines for the A7 rifles are ridiculously expensive.

Came very close to buying the A7, very close.

But I also took a look at the Nosler M48 Liberty. It was love at first sight and she is now in the gun safe. And she's American too

I also shoot an A7, in 300 wsm, and love it. Like everything about it so far. Feeds fine and is very accurate. Like the short bolt throw. Magazines are expensive.

Have had 3 Sako and they're still in the family...never had to replace a magazine The newer ones are even less inclined to inadvertently detach.

I own one and wish I didn’t. Rifle doesn’t shoot as promised. I would rather have a Browning Hell’s Canyon or Christensen Mesa for around the same price.

Mine doesn’t group as promised and beretta customer service has been a complete joke.

When I tried to research my problems I found several others with similar issues.

Christensen rifles are made in the US. That’s where I am looking going forward....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back