Picking Elk Units with burns??

TN VOL

Hey guys, hope everyone has a good application season! I’ve been studying tons of general units in Wyoming for elk.. Something that’s been on my mind is units with new burns vs units without any or recent burns. Would you guys be more willing to choose a unit with a 1 year old burn vs a unit without a burn in the last 5-7 years?? I know Randy says not all burns are created equal..here’s another scenario, say you have 2 units side by side that border each other, both have similar harvest success rates, similar good access, similar terrain, etc. do you choose the unit with the recent burn or not?
Thanks again!

Burns are becoming nonresident hunter magnets due to Randy. There can be great elk numbers in areas without burns which I know is a shocker. Pick a unit and have a great time. A burn isn't required.

I’m sure there’s elk in units without burns..I hunted a unit last year in Montana without a burn and we seen elk..I’m just curious if people choose units that have burns over another unit that has the same pros/cons.

I seen elk this fall in a general unit in wyoming and didn't hunt the only burn in the unit. Sadly I wasn't in a position to get a shot off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back