Caribou Gear Tarp

Frist time elk hunter

Preacher shaner

I am putting a trip to CO together for 2020. This will be my frist elk hunt. I see randy on youtube killing elk with 7mm08 an 308 all the time out to like 350 yards. I have a 6.5 creedmore with hand loads i am thinking of taking it out. Just dont know if it would be a good choice. If i take it what bullet should i use. Now the fun part what do yall think

6.5 Creed is more than enough. What bullet are you loading? Hornady 143 ELD-X, 140 accubonds or partitions

Last edited:
I guess thats what is ki d of what i am asking. I dont know what to load. I have a friend that loads he will put together what ever i want. I just dont know. I am thinking 140 grn something. Any ideas

A good bullet like Noslers Accubond, Partition, or maybe the ELD-X bullet in the 140+ grain weight, seam to work fine for guys out to 400 yrds.
Not my first choice caliber or cartridge for elk. But there are plenty of elk taken with .243 rifles every year.
Use what your comfortable shooting.
I have yet to kill an elk, but when I do, it will be with my .300 win mag, and that is because I shoot it well and have complete confidence it will get the job done at any distance or angle I would be willing to shoot one at.
I hunt deer with my .260 Rem quite often. The .260 is ballisticly the same as the 6.5 Creed more.
It packs plenty of punch on deer out to 500, so elk at a hundred or so less yards shouldn't be much trouble.
When the shot is well placed, at least.

I'd probably buy a box of ammo off the shelf that has a picture of a deer or an elk on it and go hunting this year.

I'd probably buy a box of ammo off the shelf that has a picture of a deer or an elk on it and go hunting this year.

Make sure you get one with the drop chart on the side of the box. You will need to know how high to aim.

In all seriousness, a 6.5mm bullet will kill with the right shot placement. A first time hunter will have a hard time finding one in those perfect shooting positions. After killing 3 with a Creedmoor, I purchased a 7mm Mag. You very seldom will ever get that perfect shot and you will never wish you didn’t have enough gun when you need it.

Last edited:
I would use a Barnes, Nosler etip or partition. Berger bullets have been a let down on elk

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back