Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

To travel or not travel with a mount

Jakedjones

Put in for some elk units in WYO. trying to decide if I should attempt to travel back to South Georgia with an elk mount to have it done locally or if I should leave it in wyoming with a taxidermist and have it shipped when it’s done. Suggestions???

Think about CWD considerations and where your travelling through.

Per the Chief Game Warden, removing skull, removing the cape, and removal of eyes and brains complies with the WY cwd requirements if moving a complete skull for a euro mount. If you pop the antler cap off you should be good in almost any state as the is no chance of spinal/brain/eye matter being transported.

I recommend taking the skinned cape and skull cap back home with you.
Wyoming taxidermist are usually on the expensive side for elk mounts compared to the east coast.
The skull cap can be split down the center to make transportation alot easier too.
Just take a measurement of the inside spread before you cut it in two.
Most taxidermist in my area charge around 500-600 bucks for an elk.

personally i would rather take care of what needs to be done for cwd and bring it to my taxidermist.. i feel like paying for shipping on something that bulky wouldn't be cheap.. I don't know though maybe its cheaper than I would think

This will be quite an extended trip, 2 weeks including travel, if I prepare the skull and cape for travel across state lines should I need to keep it cool like any other, obviously the cape and hide but the skull? Going with a party of 5, we have a 90% chance of drawing based of PP and the units we applied. Hunting the Lower portion of the GYE around Jackson

I did both this year. I shot a deer in SD and left it with a taxidermist there because the deer was in velvet and I figured I would be coming back through that area the next year for at least one hunt and could pick it up then.

I also shot a deer in Wyoming and had a taxidermist prepare it for transport for me. They caped it and cut out the skull plate. The nice part was they cleaned and salted the skull plate and froze the cape for me. This made it really easy to get it back home to a closer taxidermist. It cost a little bit for them to do that but it was done right and I won’t have to pay for shipping.

I'm not sure where you are from but I'd love to see the quality of a $500-$600 elk mount. I am a full time taxidermist and that is the price for a deer mount around here. My elk prices start at $900 closed mouth and I'm cheaper than my competition. I don't know how any real taxidermist could make any money at $500 on a elk shoulder mount. A form is around $200, the tanning is about $125. Eyes, glue, Bondo, etc. is more. Easily could have $350+ in just supplies. They are a lot of work. Like I said I would like to see the quality, or lack thereof on a $500 elk mount. The slogan in taxidermy is "the bitterness of poor quality far out last the sweetness of cheap price.

This is a tough call. I’d believe thst a western taxi would have a lot more experience with mounting elk than a guy who does very few, but leaving it there and shipping it is a nerve wracking feeling also. If I thought I might swing by the next season and pick it up, that might be best if they will hang onto it for you, otherwise, maybe best to bring it with you.

The photo here is of my first mounted animal. It arrived in the crate with a “broken neck”. So there it has sat for 20 years. No local taxi will touch it for a repair. I’ve always been too nervous to fully wreck it so I just look at it once in awhile. You can also see the power of inflation.... things cost a bit more now. The mount was done by Butch Hotz of Valley Taxidermy in Monte Vista, CO. Does anybody know what ever became of it? Butch was an older gent at the time, but he was real nice and did good work.
961F3AA0-9986-4B2D-9E4C-3B390C431E39.jpg133D2919-F4D8-4AF6-A649-33C4C0C90571.jpg

This will be quite an extended trip, 2 weeks including travel, if I prepare the skull and cape for travel across state lines should I need to keep it cool like any other, obviously the cape and hide but the skull? Going with a party of 5, we have a 90% chance of drawing based of PP and the units we applied. Hunting the Lower portion of the GYE around Jackson

If you just keep the skull cap, remove as much of the flesh you possible, salt it, keep it in a game bag. You don't need to freeze it or anything like that... just don't put it in a garbage bag.

Last edited:
we have made quite a few trips to montana and always bring it back home to mount. Assuming you have a taxidermist at home you like, that would be what I would suggest. I save a little on the mount because it is a taxidermist we have done business with for years and I do not have to pay shipping. As far as the prep, if you are not comfortable skinning out the skull, just take it to a local taxidermist and ask them to freeze the hide for you for the ride home. Most will charge around $100 to remove from the skull, salt the plate, and freeze it for you. hope that helps and good luck on the draw and hunt.

Have it done local, find a quality taxidermist and talk to him about what his thoughts are on capes, skulls etc.

Being a "western" taxidermist really doesn't give you much credit if you still suck at taxidermy, like a lot of them do. Do not base your decision on cost alone. Saving $100 on something that will last a lifetime is easy money to spend on quality work.

Getting it done local means you don't have to rely on someone 1000s of miles away to do the right thing, or in my case even put them in a crate and ship them to you... or just vanish and no longer return emails, answer the phone, or return letters. If I can't walk into the shop, I won't take it there. I've lost a number of trophies over the years due to worthless taxidermists. The business seems to have an inordinate amount of useless human beings taking peoples money. About the only thing in favor of WY is they are required to have your mount to you within a year, if I am not mistaken.

Good luck on your hunt!

I recommend taking the skinned cape and skull cap back home with you.
Wyoming taxidermist are usually on the expensive side for elk mounts compared to the east coast.
The skull cap can be split down the center to make transportation alot easier too.
Just take a measurement of the inside spread before you cut it in two.
Most taxidermist in my area charge around 500-600 bucks for an elk.

I'm not trying to highjack the thread and turn it into a taxi price vs quality, but I can resist.
I pay $600+ for a whitetail mount. Elk? Much much more. If I'm going to go through what it takes to kill a mount worthy elk, I'm paying top dollar for quality.

As for the OP question, personnely, I would bring it home and find a quality local taxidermist. Theres some very talented taxidermist all along the east coast. But as mentioned, read up and follow all of the rules and regs concerning CWD.

Have it done local, find a quality taxidermist and talk to him about what his thoughts are on capes, skulls etc.

Being a "western" taxidermist really doesn't give you much credit if you still suck at taxidermy, like a lot of them do. Do not base your decision on cost alone. Saving $100 on something that will last a lifetime is easy money to spend on quality work.

Getting it done local means you don't have to rely on someone 1000s of miles away to do the right thing, or in my case even put them in a crate and ship them to you... or just vanish and no longer return emails, answer the phone, or return letters. If I can't walk into the shop, I won't take it there. I've lost a number of trophies over the years due to worthless taxidermists. The business seems to have an inordinate amount of useless human beings taking peoples money. About the only thing in favor of WY is they are required to have your mount to you within a year, if I am not mistaken.

Good luck on your hunt!

Never heard of this requirement.

Title 23 I believe, although they removed the "12 months after receipt" wording in 2013???? I think now it just says within a reasonable amount of time.

Read post #8 again and have a place in Wyoming cape and freeze it along with doing the skull cap to take it to your local taxidermist. Also, figure on $1000 or maybe more for a top quality job just like our taxi member stated. Good taxis aren't cheap and you won't regret the price when you get a top quality shoulder mount done!

I'm not trying to highjack the thread and turn it into a taxi price vs quality, but I can resist.
I pay $600+ for a whitetail mount. Elk? Much much more. If I'm going to go through what it takes to kill a mount worthy elk, I'm paying top dollar for quality.

As for the OP question, personnely, I would bring it home and find a quality local taxidermist. Theres some very talented taxidermist all along the east coast. But as mentioned, read up and follow all of the rules and regs concerning CWD.

I am a professional taxidermist in Augusta WV.
I tan all my own skins, and they are wet tanned not dry preserve.
Deer shoulder is $200.00 and I do elk for $500.00.
Taxidermy cost is what guys want to charge.
Been doin it for 18+ years, 150+ animals a year.
Purchase my manicans in bulk to save and I pass the savings on to my customers.
Average deer mount price here is $300.00 , but they send out the tanning.
Sorry for you guys that pay double, but that's how it goes.

Last edited:
If it makes a guy feel like he got a better job done buy how expensive it was ,then by all means pay all you like.
Look at an example of some work, get reference people to ask questions. If they are recommended by most of the area locals, great.
The good ones don't have to worry about work or advertising. If the turn around time is less than a year, and they are a one man outfit, then be worried.

Small chest freezer and a generator solves the need for ice and once frozen it will travel a couple days before it needs ice or a run of the generator to refreeze it.
It's not that difficult to cape out a skull. But a taxidermist could do that for you for a small fee, before you head back.

Back