Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Varget vs. H4895

Brian in Montana

Seems you can't say the words .308 and reloading in the same sentence without Varget coming up, but I seem to consistently get a little better accuracy with H4895. A lot probably depends on the rifle, but, anyone else experience this?

Anyone who shoots a 308 based rifle cartridge should have Varget, H4895 and RL-15 on the shelf. I have found that I get at a good load from one of these three whenever I change bullet weight, or brand.

I wouldn't worry, if H4895 is giving you better accuracy and a speed that is acceptable to you, then there is no real reason to even worry about varget. The only time I would be concerned about running one powder over another, would be the powder giving the better accuracy being a known temperature sensitive powder. In your case, you are talking about two powders that are both hodgdon extreme series powders. So I'm going to run with the one giving me the best results.

Anyone who shoots a 308 based rifle cartridge should have Varget, H4895 and RL-15 on the shelf. I have found that I get at a good load from one of these three whenever I change bullet weight, or brand.

No kidding! They're all great powders for the 308 Win.

Brian, I tend to use Varget, but have also had excellent results with H4895, and RL-15. I do buy Varget in 8 lb jugs though, only occasionally use the other powders. Mostly when I can't get Varget. :)

Regards, Guy

I don’t put too much emphasis on powders other than the already mentioned temperature sensitive issue. Varget, RL-15, H4895 and N-203b are all perfect for a .308 Win with medium to heavy bullets. IMR4895 might take a slight edge with lighter bullets. BL-C(2) and CFE223 are equally suited to the .308WIN as any of the above powders. They have the advantage of metering very well through throwers and progressive reloading equipment, but the disadvantage of slightly increased ES and SD due to ignition difficulties common to ball powders. I love BL-C(2) in a .223AI and .308Win, but could only get long range vertical dispersion under .5MOA by switching to a stick and weighing charges.

H4895 is not inferior to Varget in a .308Win. If you like it, shoot it. You could probably get Varget to shoot just as well with a some tinkering, but why bother.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntND90
Back