Florida Gators

bbateman

I know this is "on your own adventures" but my Uncle is trying to get his son into hunting and the kid is interested in going gator hunting. None of us have ever hunted alligators before and we're in Utah so if we do it we're going to need a guide to have a good chance of success.

Does anybody have any recommendations on good guide services in Florida that would be patient with a new teenage hunter?

I can't help you on any guides in Florida but we have several public land draws for gator here in Texas. I was lucky enough to draw a tag 2 years ago. For these hunts, if you are in at least medium shape, they aren't difficult at all. You really wouldn't need to hire a guide if you get drawn.

What part of FL? I have a few recommendations for Panama city or Miami.

I moved from Utah and now live in FL. The gator hunt is not hard and is an easy DIY. However, the logistics of getting a boat and the needed equipment sucks. A guided hunt, if you draw a tag will cost $1,000 to $1,500. The tag for a nonresident is a bit pricey. There are a bunch that will do a good job and it really is a blast. They have private land hunts available without the draw but they cost more. The taxidermy will cost by the foot between $500.00 to $1,500 depending on what you want done.

My son and I went last year and got two gators. It was a blast. He also got his first deer. He really liked the gator hunt and said it was his favorite. We saw 40-60 gators a night when we went.

If you want to do this this year, call a few guides and see where they recommend you put in. If you don’t draw and still want to go, they should be able to help with that option.

Good luck in the draws unless you put in for my gator unit...if you do, I hope your boat has a leak��

I moved from Utah and now live in FL. The gator hunt is not hard and is an easy DIY. However, the logistics of getting a boat and the needed equipment sucks. A guided hunt, if you draw a tag will cost $1,000 to $1,500. The tag for a nonresident is a bit pricey. There are a bunch that will do a good job and it really is a blast. They have private land hunts available without the draw but they cost more. The taxidermy will cost by the foot between $500.00 to $1,500 depending on what you want done.

My son and I went last year and got two gators. It was a blast. He also got his first deer. He really liked the gator hunt and said it was his favorite. We saw 40-60 gators a night when we went.

If you want to do this this year, call a few guides and see where they recommend you put in. If you don’t draw and still want to go, they should be able to help with that option.

Good luck in the draws unless you put in for my gator unit...if you do, I hope your boat has a leak��

40-60 gators a night seems like it would be awesome. The logistics of boats and gear is why we figured we'd hire a guide and probably even just do a private land hunt. The main goal is to get Henry a good experience so he'll be more more interested in hunting deer and elk with us out here.

I know a guy in FL, hit me up if you want more details. Do a public land hunt, most private land hunts are a joke and not a hunt. Drive around in a truck, get out and shoot with a rifle. Or if your lucky, you will have a guide that has one hooked already for you waiting for you to show up.

Yes
If I draw again I’m going with them again. I have no fear for this.
Wear camo so you blend into the bank, tall boots so you can stand in/near the water.
First Gator was 10’8”. You can tag two per license...I don’t believe it has changed

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back