Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

using different bullet weights in the same rifle.

Europe

I have noticed that many of you change bullet weights in a rifle, depending on the game your hunting. I understand the purpose in doing so, but we never did so and wonder if there are any others who hunt with one bullet weight for each caliber rifle.

As an example. I used a 180 gr for the 300 H & H, for critters like Moose, Elk, Red Stag and larger plains game in Africa. If I felt a smaller weight bullet would work better for the game being hunted, Deer, Caribou, Antelope , I would just use the 6.5 x 55. As an example.

Also I am positive all here know this, but I was ask why I only used one bullet weight in the 450/400 ( 400 ). Double are regulated with a bullet and for best results that is the bullet you should use. If we felt a need to use a different bullet, then we would use the 404 Jeffery, which is ballistically the same as the 450/400, but since it is a bolt action, we could use different bullet weights ( but didn't btw ).

Do any of you fellows still find a bullet and bullet weight that works best in a particular rifle and never use anything else in it, or do you like to use the same rifle with different bullet weights to hunt different animals.---maybe both ? Thank you

I just use 1 load. It's just easier and saves time.

160gr Accubonds out of a 7mm. They shoot well and kill everything in the west. I don't feel they are overkill either.

Nothing wrong with shooting multiple loads though, some guys just love to reload and tinker.

I am in the process of developing a single optimized lead-free round for each of my hunting rifles. In each case I am choosing the bullet weight the gun shoots best and will use the gun/bullet combo that fits the target game.

Lately I've been developing two loads for each of my hunting rifles.

1. Light for caliber lead-free
2. Heavy for caliber, high BC, semi frangible

I feel like that give me a lot of good options, including hunting in lead-free areas.

Pretty much the same as others. I have a couple of loads for my 9.3x74r but mostly hunt with the 250's. The 286's are a little rough on the shoulder in a light rifle.

Everything else gets a pet load it loves and I call it good.

When I was a starving college student and only had a .22 rimfire and a .270 Win., I used that .270 for everything but squirrels. It shot both the 90 grain Sierra Hollow Point and the 150 grain Nosler Partition bullets into sub MOA groups. During the fall I would sight it in with the 150's for big game hunting, and then during the winter and summer months use the 90 grain HP's to shoot Coyote and target practice. Thirty years and a few rifles later, I reload one load for each rifle and switch rifles as the quarry requires.

I have two rifles with two different weight projectiles that duplicate 100 yard POI. I'm by no means a long distance shooter but wouldn't use them for western 'distances'. The rest of the gang are powder gorging .284 and .308 utilizing long heavy well constructed boolits, all of which like and are familiar with mountain expanse.

When I was a starving college student and only had a .22 rimfire and a .270 Win., I used that .270 for everything but squirrels. It shot both the 90 grain Sierra Hollow Point and the 150 grain Nosler Partition bullets into sub MOA groups. During the fall I would sight it in with the 150's for big game hunting, and then during the winter and summer months use the 90 grain HP's to shoot Coyote and target practice. Thirty years and a few rifles later, I reload one load for each rifle and switch rifles as the quarry requires.

Great story and it worked thank you

And I thank all of you gentlemen for your responses, you have made me feel I am not as, out of step , as I had thought, thank you.

The :lead free" responses were not something we had to deal with until I think it was in the late 70's or maybe 80's for shotguns and later on for rifles

Ben, Thank you for your response as you brought a smile to this old woman face. LOVED the 9.3 x 74R and the 9.3 x 62, even the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke

Noharleyyet--interesting-- could you expand your answer a bit in reference to the two loads for each of the two short range rifles--thank you

p.s. I will just edit and add to this post---I was asked off the open forum about the 9.3 x 66. The 9.3 x 66 is not an old caliber. Sako came out with it, in early 2000's. It gives up very little to the 375, while fitting into, from memory, a 30-06 sized action. They are popular in Europe but I dont remember seeing them in the States

Last edited:
Both are #1's Europe....the 25-06 implements 91g Hammers and 100 TSX. The other is a 7 Mag using 140 TTSX and 150 ABLR. I would trust the accuracy of the mag with the 140's to distance but it's a boat anchor after carrying it's other task specific safemates. Of course the others also have embellished for distance optics.

I'm working towards one bullet per caliber/rifle, I gotta get out on the range and see if my rifles like what I'm providing them. 139 gr Barnes LRX for my 7RM and a 80 gr Barnes TTSX for my 243.

If these don't work my next try will be Hammers.

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to experiment. If I find something that works I won't deviate.

The only time I use multiple loads is for the kids. I have both reloaded and bought light recoil loads and they are fine to use at moderate ranges on deer. Later I have the kids practice with light recoil and shoot full power loads. With my younger son I actually used three different rounds in one year. He had light recoil to practice, a lighter bullet load I found very good for deer. Then a heavier bullet round that I would use if bear were a possibility. All three would touch the same bulls eye at 100 yards and I would only use the lighter bullet loads if shots would possibly be over 100 yards. I likely overcomplicated things but it was a nice option. All three bullets were different looking so rounds were easily distinguishable.

I use different weights, but those different weights are constructed differently. Or should i say perform different roles.
Good example would be my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts.
While the 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKing will kill about anything i want to hunt, i use the 90gr. Sierra BlitzKing when hunting Varmints, especially coyotes.

I really like the BlitzKing. Accurate out to 600 yards. But i wouldn't hunt deer, antelope or elk with them.

I change rifles, not bullets, depending on the game I'm attempting to harvest. My .243 gets a 80gr. Barnes T-TSX for deer and it works exceptionally well for this task, my 270 gets a 130gr T-TSX for deer, hogs, black bear, etc.(this has been my go to rifle now for a while), my 30-06 gets a 168gr load for everything and my 300WM gets a 180gr for when I'm in grizzly country.

I see changing bullets for the task at hand.
Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem
Sierra 85gr HPBT primary use Coyotes, secondary Antelope
Sierra 90gr FMJ Pheasant’s just puts a hole through them without taking off the other breast. So I can eat them. I have shot Quail & Hungarian Partridge as well but primary Pheasant’s.
100gr Bullets for Mule Deer & Whitetail Deer. I am going to try Nosler’s 95gr BT as Hornady’s 100gr BTSP is excellent for longer range Deer & Antelope it is just a little to soft up close.

I've got standard loads/bullets for my rifles, but on occasion I'll make an exception and change.

For instance I have done a lot of hunting with my 30-06, using a 165 gr Nosler for a long time. It's accurate and lethal, I've been very happy with the load for antelope, mule deer, black bear and elk.

Then I took it to Alaska for grizzly and thought I probably ought to go with a heavier bullet, so I worked up a nice, accurate 200 gr Nosler Partition. That worked out real well.

Now the rifle is sighted-in again with the 165's, as usual. Not sure if I'll ever need or use the rest of that 200 gr ammo I loaded, but it was really great to shoot, and for hunting.

Regards, Guy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back