Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Mule Deer HD 650

Nick28

Looking at taking a trip to Montana Hunt District 650 next year for rifle season. Was just wondering if there is many mule deer around that area and what we should be expecting out there. We would be hunting on the east side of the hunting district and may have a possibility of getting on a distant relatives ranch to hunt a little. He isn't a hunter so doesn't pay much attention to the deer and how many or how big they are. Just curious if it is worth the trip or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Any new adventure in new country is worth it..... we got many of mule deer to go around.

Why do most all the NR mule deer hunters focus on the Eastern part of the state? We have units here in the West with muleys. Come out and dig one up. Might make that young four point more meaningful. mtmuley

That's what makes it a "hunting" adventure

Yep. And I am in no way discounting the guys that kill big deer in the Eastern part of Montana. I've been out there. Just seems like it is a go to kill any buck area for some. mtmuley

20160116_141511_resized.jpg

Here's my last mule deer. Draw unit, but unlimited. I almost let him walk. Found him on top of two drainages here in the Root. I won't kill another one smaller, but have a couple bigger. Had the skull outside and the damn neighbors dog chewed the nose. mtmuley

Last edited:
Solid buck no doubt...... better finish that room around him so he's got some nicer digs. Western buck?...... out of my deer 3 of my 5 "nicer" bucks are mountain bucks only have taken a couple good eastern bucks. One exceptional one.

Solid buck no doubt...... better finish that room around him so he's got some nicer digs. Western buck?...... out of my deer 3 of my 5 "nicer" bucks are mountain bucks only have taken a couple good eastern bucks. One exceptional one.

Bitterroot buck. I've seen some comparable. Know a guy that killed a smoker.:) I don't post up pics often, but this buck was a tough hunt. Don't ask questions.
mtmuley

Last edited:
Yep. And I am in no way discounting the guys that kill big deer in the Eastern part of Montana. I've been out there. Just seems like it is a go to kill any buck area for some. mtmuley

People come here because it’s easy. Easy terrain dumb deer in November. No different than shooting an angus cow imo plenty of people would probably line up to do that though, with their long range rifle. At least in the mountains there is terrain and cover. Discount away big difference between killing a mountain deer versus a eastern Montana deer imo.

I grew up on the hi-line but now live in the mountains. I still go NE to muley hunt. I go because I just love hiking and hunting the coulee, breaky prairie country. Easier than the mountains I suppose but easy is what you make it I guess. I have killed some bucks in some pretty nasty holes far from the pickup. Most years I don't find a buck to my liking and am just happy with being in that awesome country.

Used to hunt there on a friends place, mostly for whitetails but we did muley hunt some. You will see plenty of hunters and not have much trouble finding some smaller muleys. I only had trouble once when 2 hunters fired at a group of 4 bucks we where stalking from over 1000 yds away. I was sure they saw us and I guess may have just been trying to spook them for some reason. We were able to get back on those bucks but my nephew passed on them. You will enjoy the open space and I took a few nice whitetails there over the years so you may want to hunt your relatives place. Great buck mtmuley I haven't seen anything like that but am only there a week some years so I don't have much time to look a lot. Good hat too.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back