Measuring Case OAL w/o Hornady Gauge?

OhHeyThereBen

Wondering if you guys have any methods that I haven't heard of yet. What I used for my '06 is a case that I dremeled a slot out of the neck. I then pinched it slightly so it would hold tightly to a bullet, inserted the bullet slightly into the neck, and slowly pushed it forward into the lands. I got a fairly reliable measurement to the tip of the bullet (not the ogive).

I haven't loaded any of this ammo longer than SAAMI yet anyway, but I would imagine that this should work just fine.

Any other methods out there? I just really can't justify the purchase of the Hornady gauge system at this point, but plan on grabbing one sometime in the future.

Measuring off the tip of the bullet is not very accurate especially if you are going to try and load to the lands or close to them. Spend the money and get the Comparator and inserts needed. Your ammo will be much more consistent measuring off the Ogive.

You don't need the Hornady tool, cleaning rod works fine. Close the bolt on an MTY chamber and run a cleaning got through the barrel to the bolt face. Plug the cleaning rod with the threaded end Of a cut off plastic patch holder. Mark the cleaning rod at the end of the barrel. Next remove the bolt and drop a bullet into the chamber and hold it there with a wood pencil. Put in the cleaning rod again till it touch's the bullet. Remove the rod and measure between the marks. Load a dummy round up with that bullet to that measurement and chamber it. If you feel it touch the lands measure it, using the same bullet them seat it a bit deeper and how much deeper will be how far you moved the bullet back off the lands! Mark the measurement on the case and save it. Only catch is to use the same bullet as ogive to tip can change.

You don't need the Hornady tool, cleaning rod works fine. Close the bolt on an MTY chamber and run a cleaning got through the barrel to the bolt face. Plug the cleaning rod with the threaded end Of a cut off plastic patch holder. Mark the cleaning rod at the end of the barrel. Next remove the bolt and drop a bullet into the chamber and hold it there with a wood pencil. Put in the cleaning rod again till it touch's the bullet. Remove the rod and measure between the marks. Load a dummy round up with that bullet to that measurement and chamber it. If you feel it touch the lands measure it, using the same bullet them seat it a bit deeper and how much deeper will be how far you moved the bullet back off the lands! Mark the measurement on the case and save it. Only catch is to use the same bullet as ogive to tip can change.
Get the tool. mtmuley

Don
I’ve heard of people using a cleaning rod to measure like you described. Seems to work ok.
How do you then measure your loaded round over all length? Off the tip or the ogive? I’ve found variations in bullets even in the same box especially if measuring base to tip. Ogive is much more accurate.

Last edited:
Been doing it without the tool for 50 years!

I understand the other old school ways to do this. I even did it myself for awhile. Then I bought the tools to measure things accurately and with repeatability. Kind of like using "premium" bullets. mtmuley

If you're going to load to anything other than SAAMI specs, just get the Hornady set. It's a great tool if you're trying to get close to the lands and want to easily test small seating depth changes.

The Hornady tool is such a waste of money to me and not needed whatsoever. I use a cleaning rod and found it to be more accurate than using the tool.

Measuring by the ogive would be better. However, I did modify the case just for S&G. I get very repeatable results. I’m not going to say it’s better at all. But it might be acceptable. Not going to load to the lands anyway, but it’s good to know I can stretch it out a couple hundredths.

Have you used one? mtmuley

Yes sir. I bought one when I first started reloading. I saw pretty quick that I had wasted my money and was able to return it for a refund. I guess some folks like it, but it wasn't for me.

Hands down best group I ever shot. 5 shots @100 yds from a rest. 25-06 w/100 gr SMK. measured with a cleaning rod!

QQojgG7l.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I had an opportunity to shoot over the weekend and things turned out well! Managed a half inch group at 100 yards. The range in town has two sides; one to shoot paper, and another to shoot with an electronic sensor target thingy. Unfortunately the paper side was backed up for a couple hours so I shot on the electronic side. The measurements are all in millimeters (made in Norway...) so I took pictures and calculated at home. The X ring is 30mm in diameter. Using ratios and a caliper I was able to figure out the inches. .546".

140gr Nosler RDF over 39gr H4350 in the 6.5 Schmedium.

Nosler RDF 140gr 39gr H4350.jpg

Back