Question Regarding Outfitter Camps and Access

Loblolly7

There is an area in Wyoming where I hunt and an outfitter sets up camp at the end of a forest road. The last time I was there, the outfitter had a gate and a "No Trespassing" sign set up on the road. I need to access the end of the road to reach a switchback trail to take me over a ridge into the area I intend to hunt. Do Outfitters have the right to deny access to a forest road, or am I within my rights to walk through the camp to get to my trail?

Do Outfitters have the right to deny access to a forest road, or am I within my rights to walk through the camp to get to my trail?

Not that I'm aware of. He could lose his license if he is caught, or at the very lease have some sort of fine. Are you 100% positive it was the outfitter? I've "heard" of similar closures for logging operations.

100% positive. I didn't have service on my phone, or I would have called the warden to confirm my rights at the time. It was my first hunt out west and didn't want to break any laws, so I avoided going down the road past the sign and about killed myself by blazing my own trail over the ridge. On my way out 5 days later I was too tired to care, so I walked down the trail I had intended to walk up on my way in. There was a large camp set up with 5-6 big white walled tents, horse pen, etc. Didn't see anyone in the camp when I walked out.

There is an area in Wyoming where I hunt and an outfitter sets up camp at the end of a forest road. The last time I was there, the outfitter had a gate and a "No Trespassing" sign set up on the road. I need to access the end of the road to reach a switchback trail to take me over a ridge into the area I intend to hunt. Do Outfitters have the right to deny access to a forest road, or am I within my rights to walk through the camp to get to my trail?

Is it public land? Onx is your friend. Your camera on your cell phone is your friend. If it's public land go hunt and don't give the shmuck a second thought, and when you get back turn his sorry ass in. If it's private respect the boundaries. You can also check with the county and see who owns the road.

Is it public land? Onx is your friend. Your camera on your cell phone is your friend. If it's public land go hunt and don't give the shmuck a second thought, and when you get back turn his sorry ass in. If it's private respect the boundaries. You can also check with the county and see who owns the road.

Yes it is public in the Bridger National Forest. I'm going to call the warden before I return this fall and then go about my plan of walking through the camp. Thanks for the response. You live, you learn.

Talking to the area Warden is what I would definitely do, also the forest ranger district office would be my next call.
I would confirm that location on an area map first, before I called anyone.
If it's public land, they will tell you what may have happened. Could have been closed by the local ranger for some reason.
But, sounds fishy........

Talking to the area Warden is what I would definitely do, also the forest ranger district office would be my next call.
I would confirm that location on an area map first, before I called anyone.
If it's public land, they will tell you what may have happened. Could have been closed by the local ranger for some reason.
But, sounds fishy........

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back