Value of winter scouting?

FYT

Guys- I got bit so hard by elk hunting in the last three years. Even right now, 9 months from the season, I still find myself thinking about elk a lot. Too much.

I live where I hunt, and I've taken a few snowshoe hikes recently to see if I can get my eyes on some wintering elk, with little success so far. My whole goal is just to enjoy watching them in a non-pressured state and just see what they're doing and where they're hanging.

Other than just this enjoyment, do you think there is much benefit to this? I know they're in their winter concentrations right now and that they'll move a lot between now and the season. I'm just curious on your thoughts and if there are other, better ways, to be spending time in the off-season in preparation.

Guys- I got bit so hard by elk hunting in the last three years. Even right now, 9 months from the season, I still find myself thinking about elk a lot. Too much.

I live where I hunt, and I've taken a few snowshoe hikes recently to see if I can get my eyes on some wintering elk, with little success so far. My whole goal is just to enjoy watching them in a non-pressured state and just see what they're doing and where they're hanging.

Other than just this enjoyment, do you think there is much benefit to this? I know they're in their winter concentrations right now and that they'll move a lot between now and the season. I'm just curious on your thoughts and if there are other, better ways, to be spending time in the off-season in preparation.

It's awesome that you caught the bug, but I would stay out of elk habitat in the winter. Elk and deer struggle through the winter and human contact causes them to waste valuable energy and leads to winter kill if you want more elk on the mountain and more opportunites to hunt then leave them alone.

As far as off-season prep, shoot your bow or rifle, hit the gym, snowshoe outside of wintering range.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/wher...percent-drop-in-eagle-valleys-elk-population/

I think they talk about it on this podcast as well...http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-121-a-man-of-the-law

That video you just commented on in the other thread with the "huge herd" was shot 20-30 miles from their summer/fall range. With other herds I expect there can be some variances, but in general winter range is quite a ways from fall range.

It's awesome that you caught the bug, but I would stay out of elk habitat in the winter. Elk and deer struggle through the winter and human contact causes them to waste valuable energy and leads to winter kill if you want more elk on the mountain and more opportunites to hunt then leave them alone.

As far as off-season prep, shoot your bow or rifle, hit the gym, snowshoe outside of wintering range.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/wher...percent-drop-in-eagle-valleys-elk-population/

I think they talk about it on this podcast as well...http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-121-a-man-of-the-law

Thanks for this reminder. I'm trying to stay away from them and glass them from afar, but it is a good reminder to leave them be.

Get out and spend as much time as you can around them. Don’t bump them but you’ll learn a lot between now and hunting season , scout as much as you can.

Doesn't apply to the op yet, but my winter elk scouting is looking for wolves. mtmuley

Not much hunting value but it's fun. They are really easy to spot in winter. If you do some research on winter range, then you can find hundreds of them with some effort. They act different too when they aren't pressured as much. It can be helpful to improve your spotting ability.

Edit: yes it's super important not to be hiking through winter range bumping animals. Use the optics.

Doesn't apply to the op yet, but my winter elk scouting is looking for wolves. mtmuley

Mtmuly is dead on on. Any dead Wolf or Coyote is an easy way to give your hunting area and your season a boost (Always carry a predator rifle). There are many benefits to being in the mountains as much as you can. The more you can view and study Elk in their natural habitat the more you will learn about them. Wilm1313 is also correct In saying Elk and deer have it tough enough getting through winter but in my own personal winter scout trips I have never been able to get close enough to elk in order to give them any concern (I suppose this really depends on how much snow is on the ground, where you find them and a host of variables). The mountains of Washington state are not very forgiving to the meek. My personal objectives in winter or any off season scouting is A) Learn as much as I can about behavior and the area even if I think I know the area well (seems like I always find something new). B) If at all possible take out predators in my hunting area and C) Get away from life and enjoy my time in the mountains. I can't explain this odd concept enough to people who have never spent time in the woods...:confused:

So Yes, there is value in winter scouting. Your obsession is totally understood. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i went out today to learn some new dirt and expand my knowledge of my area, no snow here and no wolves, mid 40's and mild most of the time, im always exploring, going out tomorrow as well gonna pull a trail cam ive left soaking for 2 months, and then im heading to another location to learn that for my archery hunt this Aug/Sep. im fortunate i get to hunt elk where i live, so im always looking to expand my knowledge of the woods. i dont necessarily look for elk in general but if i see them i will watch and try not to bump them and give the there space. i look for rubs and sign to try to give myself info on how much elk use an area, because when season starts i never know where im gonna end up, but knowing the land and more locations to go based on pressure and other hunters, so i have a wider knowledge base of areas that are possibly hunted less. i love being out in the ELK WOODS :cool: you always learn something , i have the elk bug bad as well , i think about it every day, the next place im gonna learn, studying google earth after i get home from scouting to see how where i was fits with where ive been and whats adjacent to that area etc etc etc

Last edited:
You can learn an awful lot of herd behavior perched and watching closely. pay attention to anything that they pay attention to, it will teach you a lot about who runs things. After they have moved on you move in and pay attention to what they did, what they ate, what their tracks look like and how they compare to each other how to sex and age the beds etc.

You guys are lucky to be so close to your hunting grounds. I would say that stalking is the most important thing to practice but as stated keep away from the herds not to stress them out. Keep an eye on the herds might be able to pick up some sheds later in the year.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back