What is the best scope to put on a 30-06

WillNamy

I am getting into more and more hunting and want to purchase a scope that will work with my tikka t3 30-06. I don't want to spend a $1000 but don't want to cheap out either. I was looking at the VX 5 cause of the cds and the weight of the scope. Price is around $900, so it is at the top of the price range. Anybody have good suggestions for a scope?

You can get a whole lot of different scopes that will work. What are you going to be using it for? Hunting? Target shooting? Long range? Short range?

I am getting into more and more hunting and want to purchase a scope that will work with my tikka t3 30-06. I don't want to spend a $1000 but don't want to cheap out either. I was looking at the VX 5 cause of the cds and the weight of the scope. Price is around $900, so it is at the top of the price range. Anybody have good suggestions for a scope?

Scmalts can get you closer to the $800 depending on reticle. I really like mine. If you want to stay in $500s I like my Nikon Monarch 5ED. In high $300s I have liked both my Leupold vx 3i and Monarch 3 scopes for the price.

4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3 with the B&C reticle is a great scope for close and far.

6x42mm Leupold Gold ring fixed power. I love this scope and it would serve you well also.

If you want to stay with decent price and super durability, look no farther than the SWFA SS 6x, 10x, or variables. The 3x9 has fantastic feedback, for a hunting scope and is a $600 scope. The fixed-which I prefer-have a normal price of $300, with frequent sales dropping below that. It has a far more reliable dialing system than the CDS, which has developed a bad reputation for rtz and consistent tracking. It just depends on what you want to do with it, but none can compare to SWFA, for great reliability and spot-on tracking. They also work extremely well as a set and forget, but some complain about the high turrets.

Straight 2 3/4x. Nice thing is you won't try shooting to far because you don't think you see well enough. It's what I have on my 30-06 and I love it!

3x9 Leopold your choice of price range.
I hunted with fixed power scopes for years but then had a couple of occasions where I felt I needed a little more power to get good detail on a buck with a poor backdrop. There were multiple bucks and I wanted to shoot the correct one. I didn't take the shot. The next year I changed to 3x9 scopes and I like them for ranges to 400+ yards.
I take most of my shots with the scope set around 5 power and don't worry about turning it up unless I need more detail for some reason.

Does anyone have any info on the LRP line of Leupold scopes? First hand knowledge?

I switched from a 3x9x40 Leupold basic to a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 made for 30-06 & 300WM several years back. Got the $800+ scope NIB for $500.

I've never been super into expensive glass. I just want a duplex crosshair, 40mm objective, 9x that will hold a zero. However, I can tell you that I'd go Leupold on anything that kicks. Leupold has a great assortment of affordable scopes anymore that will fit whatever you want them to do. For me the biggest selling point is they have blessed long eye relief and they tend to be fairly glare resistant.

I've also never gotten into the more expensive glass options, mostly because I never could/can afford them. I did however splurge on a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on sale at Bass Pro recently and I was blown away by how good it was. My best scope before that was a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 duplex and a Burris Fullfield ii 3-9x40 BDC that I've never really liked (good glass but not a fan of the reticle, too busy IMO) and can say that from now on I'll be putting better than on all my rifles

PM me.

Back