What is the best scope to put on a 30-06

I have a Bushnell 3x9 x32.Works great here in Az.(no super long distance shots):cool:

Thing about scope's is they are really no more than a sighting aid. Years ago I got straight power scope's, 4x and less! Never could see a need for a 6x or pretty much most variable's. Today I stinn have two fixed power's, the 2 3/4x on my 30-06 and an old weaver 4x on my 22 mag. My favorite's are my 2-7x these days but only use 7x sighting in. Have several 3-9x abut don't recall ever shooting one past about 4x, carry them hunting set on 3x and that's normally where I shoot at game with them. Have a 4 1/2-14x and it has that awful BDC reticule in it. On top of that the cross wires in the center are actually to thick. Loaded for a friend's 7mm mag last year. He had, I think, a 2-8x Bosh Lomb with tapered cross wires, boy was that nice. But then it was all I liked about the scope. Adjustment's were in the mounts and really just a POS! Years ago Redfield, in Denver, made a 4 plex CCH that was my all time favorite reticule. Had fine center and tapered up from there much like the duplex today. For most any cartridge used for big game hunting 3-9xworks bt 2-7 power is a bit smaller. And generally most people don't use the highest power's I don't think. Say even at 300 yds, how much power do you really need to place a good shot on something even as small as an antelope? And if you have something like my 4 1/2-14x on your varmint rifle, the cross wires are so thick I suspect they would block out the critter at some range, say about 300 yds for a sage rat! I had that 4 1/2-14x on my 6.5x06 for target shooting and now on a 243. But soon as I can it's gonna get replaced with something with fine cross wire's and dump that BDC garbage. On a 30-06? Still like my 2 3/4x best!

IIRC, it was Jim Carmichael who used to say that "I wanna see game, not scenery" as his justification for higher power scopes. Can't say that I disgree. High power scopes can be a PITA for close up game tho.

To each his/her/their own.

I just topped my Nosler M48 30/06 with a Zeiss Z4 3-12X56. The light gathering ability is unreal

I love my Nikon Prostaff 7 in 3-12x42 with the 30mm tube... That pairing makes an awesome hunting rig and that rifles is extremely accurate with that setup.

I don't understand the need to spend thousands on glass. This $400 scope shoots on par with its $1000+ scopes....

I am right at $1000 on the rig that shoots targets like this all day long if I do my part.

Spend a little less on your gun and you can hunt more. :) $1000 dollar guns kill animals the same as $5000 guns.

IMG_2924.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 50
I have tried all kinds of scopes and have many different brands and sizes for all sorts of my imagined specized situations. The scope I found the most practical and useful are my VX3 3.5-10x40 duplex’s. I have a few VX3i’s but I did not favor them as they lack a rubber ring on the eye peice. Call me freakish but I couldn't get passed it. Yesterday I recieved a few Leupold rubber eye peice protectors i bought that screw in to the scope. So I’m all happy about VX3i scopes I have now. I purchased a NIB VX 3 3.5-10x40 last year from another website still in the plastic wrap for $300. I was happy with that purchase. Im not a turret twister and I only can shoot effectively out to 300. Most of my shots are at 100-200yrds so no need for anything but a duplex.

Leupold vx3i is the best value out there, imo.

I've got the 3.5x10 w/the cds on my new one, and a 2.5x8 on my pre-64 model 70.

I replaced the original fixed Redfield on my 700 30-06 with a Leupold 3x9x50 Rifleman when I smashed it & cracked the stock during a fall in Sierra's one year.....that is a whole story in itself, with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x14x44 made for 30-06 & 300WM . Talley bases where no-brainer @ same time 4 yrs ago.
The Rifleman is still a very good scope for the $,but the Zeiss is far & beyond the best I have ever used on a rifle.........mine or anyone's I have shot.
The light gathering ability & the distances I now shoot it in NM usually is amazing. Farthest I ever shot an animal with the 3x9x50 was maybe 240 yrds. Took a cow 3 yrs ago here @ 405 yrds.......no problem. I like ringing the 600yrd gong @ local range at times too now...for fun.
All in all, if I had not found the Zeiss NIB for less than $500,I would have gone Leupold 3x9x40 in vx3............

Euro Optic has some vortex on big discounts currently.

another vote for leupold vx3i 4.5 x14 - (from Schmalts) except I did B&C reticle (It has BDC lines) - I love it, don't need to dial anything, just get the range and have my lines memorized after plenty of shooting to learn what distances they hit at. Yes, it takes more bullets but more range time is not a bad thing.

There are numerous scopes available that will work. What are you planning to do with it? Hunting? Shooting at a target? What do you mean, long range? Do you have a short range?
Depending on the reticle, smalts can help you get closer to the $800 mark. Mine is one of my favourites. My Nikon Monarch 5ED is a good choice if you want to stay in the $500 range. For the price, I enjoyed both my Leupold vx 3i and Monarch 3 scopes in the upper $300s.
On my Kimber 84L 30-06, I have a vx3i 4.5-14x40. With a Leupold scope, I've never had a problem. In my opinion, it's the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
The Leupold VX-5HD's are great scopes...I have 2 (3-15x 44 Firedot Duplex and 3-15x 56 Firedot Duplex) and love them. And as others have said @schmalts is the man! I used to have a .30-06...Remington Model 700 BDL topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x 50. Killed my biggest buck ever with that combination back in 1998.

Last edited:
Buy the best Leupold or Vortex you can afford. Check with Schmaltz for best pricing on Leupold's.

Depending on your hunting:

VX3HD 2/5x8
VX3HD 3.5-10
VX5HD 2x10
Vx5HD 1x5

If I were to top a new 06, it would be one of these four. Hunting western big game, I'd stick with the 10x for the top power. The 1x5 is perfect for Timber & big woods.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back