Hello, From Northern Indiana

Hoonter

Hello, lived in Indiana all my life and planning to take my father on our first big game hunt out west, but we don't have the knowledge nor experience to get through it by ourselves. He's hunted whitetails ever since he was a kid and so have I. I have been watching Randy for a while, learning a lot and I fell this forum could help answer the main questions with learning what to do and not to do on our first big game hunt. Colorado seems like our best bet for a DIY over the counter hunt in the third season but I'm always open to new ideas from experienced hunters. I have been doing a bit of research and can't decide whether to hunt from the truck or camp. the problem with camping would be gear, but if it makes our chances higher it would be worth it. Any tips on a hunt out west would be appreciated. Thanks for anything in advance, and hope you all had a successful season.

Welcome! You're in the right place to help you with your trip. I would just start looking at previous post by searching on here. Colorado DOW has excellent information. Don't over think it and head West and enjoy the experience.

Welcome from Minnesota! My tip is to be prepared to hike in rough terrain for miles each day to be successful!

Welcome from Valparaiso Indiana. I’ve only been on 2 western hunts and they were both Colorado archery otc. With the very little experience I have, I would say day hunt from your truck. Unless you have been there scouting or know for a fact the the animals will be there. I put on a ton of miles hiking on my 2 trips without hardly even seeing an elk. I would hate to totally commit to a spot unless I was certain they would be around. Take my advice for what it’s worth, I still have a ton to learn.

Welcome! Hunt from the truck. It'll be more comfortable and easier to pull off for your first western hunt.

Hello from NE Indiana! I'm in the same boat my friend. I was thinking Idaho. A friend moved out there and might be a good base. Maybe we could help each other?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back