Weekend in NE

SFC B

Rolled into Morrill about 2030. Got situated and laid my good out for tomorrow. I am taking 2 Vets out the next 2 days and hoping the front brings activities. Wish us luck!!

Yesterday was a good day. ..not so much for harvest but for an actual "hunt day" . I got one really nice mallard drake and one goose. The other 2 guys struck out. They probably should have had a couple geese but we're off a bit. I got my birds early and the rest of the day it was tough to get any birds down. They enter high after the ceiling roae. We were hunting a sandbar on the river with only a small goose spread and the duck decoys. Pics to follow along with today's report.

Saturday ended up being a half day. After lunch a front came through and the wind was HOWLING so the morning was it. That being said it was a good morning. I got 2 Mallard hens and would have limited out had I shot worth a crap ;) We were hunting a slough off the main river that is apparently a little hidey hole for ducks. For the first 2-3 hours we had a lot of ducks coming and going. The big issue for getting quality shots was the fog. It was so dense that you could not see the ducks at any type of distance. Most of the time they would be on us and cutting out before we could even move our guns. I was beautiful and cool to be there in the midst of them. On a side note, we had a monstrous flock of snow fly fairly low over us. It was so big the honking was deafening. With the fog we could BARELY make out a few silhouettes. Once again....cool :)

Attachments

• from the blind.jpg
    from the blind.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 150
  • dogs on sandbar.jpg
    dogs on sandbar.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 151
  • almost back.jpg
    almost back.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Bambi's first goose.jpg
    Bambi's first goose.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 151
  • Chris.jpg
    Chris.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 148
  • drake.jpg
    drake.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 147
  • foggy slough .jpg
    foggy slough .jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 147
  • find the hens.jpg
    find the hens.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 147
Nice, but how you still have soft water is beyond me
Only hard stuff here. Yesterday, I was out on top of my own duck pond cutting out trees that were falling in.

Nice, but how you still have soft water is beyond me
Only hard stuff here. Yesterday, I was out on top of my own duck pond cutting out trees that were falling in.

Most of the ponds and pits had about 1/2 light ice cover. Plenty of birds around but you can definitely tell it is late season. I am pretty happy though.....Bambi's first outing got me 4 birds and my first 3 ducks ever.....not bad for having never fired her before :)

Wow looks like a good time. Wish I was still out waterfowl hunting

NE is about done for ducks and geese got to FEB 18th I believe. Man it was sure nice being out there. The second day the area we were in was flush with turkeys too!! They were screaming for about 2 hours steady :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back