Making your own backcountry meals

Sawtooth Hunter

Has anyone ever made your own meals and if they keep ok and if they rehydrated ok at higher elevations I heard on the backcountry podcast about a guy that made his own meals but thet did'nt hydrate well on his trip. I am working on a few recipes like chicken dumpling soup and mac and cheese from backpacking chef. I also have a recipe that I am working on with ground lean pork, hasbrowns, powdered eggs and sausage gravy. I mixed the powder eggs and drop them in boiling water for a minute add the meat, hasbrowns, and gravy powder and put it in a pot cozy to rehydrate but its still a work in progress.

Quite a few on here doing that with success. Myself included. It takes a lot of trial and error. Document those trials and you'll find a way to do it. Most of my recipes reconstitute well enough that you wouldn't distinguish them from freshly cooked.

When I first started, I read quite a bit on ultralight backpacking forums but you will find a bit on here if you search the archives. Lots of little tricks or intricacies to pick up on that produce a better product.

backpackingchef.com is a good place to start.

I usually hike in and establish a base camp to hunt from.
Each morning after breakfast I soak that night's dehydrated dinner in a ziploc bag.
That way most dehydrated meals rehydrate well..except halibut...won't do halibut again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back