Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Spotting scope vs binos

Sorry, I overlooked the aspect of the 365 days a year. I'm unaware of the natives moving masses of animals off a cliff, especially when I studied history in college but I know not everything.

Please google "buffalo jump", and if you were a history or environmental science major ask for a refund on your degree. ;) In all seriousness do yourself a favor and pick up American Buffalo by Steven Rinella.

As far as binos v. spotter; I don't own but have been loaned by my in-laws at various times a Swaro spotter and Swaro 10x56 binos. If you told me I had to pick one or the other I'm going with a tripod and 10x56 binos everyday of the week. The glass in the new Swaro 10x56 binos is unreal, during Christmas I was able to count antler tines on deer in a field at 11pm at about 400-500 yards. When I put the binos down I couldn't even tell there were deer in the field, with my Steiner's I could barely make out the outlines of the bodies.

Having a spotter is great, but aside from judging animals super far away you don't gain a huge advantage over binos. If you really want both I would do vortex razor 8x42 and then get a swaro spotter (similar to snowymountaineers post), I would stick to the 65 for backpack hunting.

Last edited:
...I've never hunted the plains or prairie lands, mostly a mountain person and valleys.
I tend to find valleys between mountains, and enjoy being able to see from one to another without having to spend all day walking there. I'm with wllm, in fact I told a new hunter buddy this yesterday, I'd rather have alpha binos on a tripod than all the cheap spotters in the world; for what I do anyway. With a $3,000-$4000 budget you can pretty well have your cake and eat it too.

You know of any issues buying used or demo?

I haven't seen any problems with either. I have [purchased a handful of use optic and just make sure that I buy items that have unconditional lifetime warranties. I have shared this numerous times on this forum - I have both Leupold and Vortex optics, among others, and both companies have been great to work with when I have had warranty issues. That being said Vortex did a better job communciating. There are several on this site that really dislike Vortex, and I am not saying they are wrong, but in my own personal experience I think they have been great.

Scopes aside, I would buy and gladly use Vortex binos or spotters (and have). I think with a good sized budget like the OP's there are better options at the price point of the higher end Vortex optics, but that is 100% opinion.

I have the Bushnell 10 x 25 Trophy binoculars (Bak 4 prism) and would not trade them for anything. In my opinion, spotting scopes are an unnecessary tool providing no more viewing options than binoculars. .

1.) Even if you wanted to trade them, I doubt you would get anything for them. Maybe a pack or two of gum?

2.) Thank you for the laugh. I needed it today. Been a long week.

* That aspect could be consistent with extreme long range shooting. Exactly, what are the distances we're speaking, and are you alluding to the prairie lands and plains? The only time spotter scopes are required I shall not speak. What did the native Americans have or use that would suffice with the technology of this day?

If you call extreme long range shooting 350 yards, then yeah I do extreme long range shooting. Stop making accusations you know nothing about. As far as what Native Americans used back in the day, I do use a cell phone to communicate with people. You gonna bash me for doing that? Sorry OP, between the lines there is some good advice. As others have stated a high quality bino on a tripod is more than enough for most hunts. Attached is a picture of a bull elk taken from with a phonescope on a spotter that was close to 5 miles away in the mountains in an OTC unit in CO. Without the spotter it would have been impossible to see him.

cCyjgG8.jpg

Sorry, I overlooked the aspect of the 365 days a year. I'm unaware of the natives moving masses of animals off a cliff, especially when I studied history in college but I know not everything. I hunt on foot, never used atv's or trucks to preview the area. Basically, I follow the terrain, mostly mountainous, searching for signs,taking note of other predators, and watching the birds. This may be a crude way of hunting, yet many things can be learned by observation; similar to using a spotter BUT "up close and personal".

I would believe that those using spotters are looking long distance (plains or prairie land) and are not capable of moving on the ground or feel that the distances are too far. Why waste the time, right"? Let's use our trucks to observe, then try to approach from the rear to gain an advantage. I personally believe that hunting is far more valuable when knowing the lay of the land, rather than using technology to establish a kill. It is not what you have that makes a hunter but what the hunter knows. Thank you very much for your insight.

* I've never hunted the plains or prairie lands, mostly a mountain person and valleys.

Eastern tenderfeet are funny.

I agree with a few others. 15x on a bipod (my preference) I'll take over any spotter. I just don't like spotters, straight or angled. I am strictly an archery hunter so 10x42's are what I have 95% of the time. If I can see horns from miles away, good enough for me, I am headed that direction.

I'm new here and have been checking out many of the treads but this is my first post. Lots of good options here. I found this thread looking for something to use out west on vacation and on some hunts I'm hoping to do. I hunted for 45 years but mainly up close and fast in Mass, Vermont and 20 years in New Brunswick and 4 in PA. Furthest shot 275+yards and shortest 20! Want to try some more open country while I can still hike pretty well. I think I'll start with 10x and looking at the Meopta make mentioned several times on this tread. This is a great site and I've been rebuilding my 1977 Rem 270 to try and get my first western hunt. Lot's of great threads on stocks, scopes, etc! Thanks all!

Thank you for the insight. My leupolds are on the cheaper end, they are Acadia. I am not a truck hunter or someone who uses horses. I was looking at viper binos and spotter. Thanks again, its just a hard decision with that much money on the line. I will look into everything you said.
I would look at Athlon long before Vortex

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back