Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Pronghorn Help

Muley4x4

Myself and a couple of friends 3-4 including myself are looking to go to Wyoming this year with 0 points. I let mine go for 2 years and lost 4 points. Life and two young kiddos took priority and it was a big mistake not continuing to buy points. My wife gave me the go ahead to go back this year.

I’ve noticed that the point totals and the points required have changed since I last made it up there. I’ve hunted near Buffalo and Saratoga in the past. Just wondering if anyone could point me in a decent direction in terms of picking a unit that may be possible to draw and actually be able to access public land. I’m willing to work my tail off and in the past have hit the 50+ mile mark on a couple of elk hunts in Colorado in a week.

I don’t need anyone’s honey hole just wanted some advice from anyone in the know. Would also consider a general deer tag if anyone thinks that might be more doable.

Jarred

WY point creep is very real. GoHunt.com may help you filter to a tag are likely draw with no points though keep in mind not all public land holds pronghorn and heavy pressure on the public lands can push pronghorn off to private after opening morning. Welcome to the forum.

Dang, I'd hate to lose 4 pronghorn points. I would look at the special draw and find a decent area with good random odds.

What do you all think about 102? Would we be hurting trying to find ground to hunt??

I would say doe antelope and eastern WY general deer tags are your most attractive options.

I would go with a deer hunt instead of antelope, since you're without points. I just think the opportunities are much better, for hunting public land with a regional deer tag than any of the buck antelope tags you'd draw with zero points. You could also do what has already been suggested- pay for the special draw and apply for a unit that has decent odds in the random draw. But it would be easier to just plan for deer and draw regional tag such as region A.

I would go with a deer hunt instead of antelope, since you're without points. I just think the opportunities are much better, for hunting public land with a regional deer tag than any of the buck antelope tags you'd draw with zero points. You could also do what has already been suggested- pay for the special draw and apply for a unit that has decent odds in the random draw. But it would be easier to just plan for deer and draw regional tag such as region A.

I do have 4 points for deer in Colorado and wouldn’t be opposed to going there. Do you think any of the general tags in Wyoming would be comparable?

Any thoughts on trying to hit Montana or somewhere else for Pronghorn?

Thanks again for the advice. Just found the site and it's cluttered with useful information and has been a great help. Thank you all again for trying to steer us in the right direction.

I think there is plenty of opportunities in WY, or even MT. Antelope bucks are where you find them. No secret recipe. You just might have to invest in on-X maps on areas you can draw with zero points. Even better, if you can find a landowner that is willing to let you guys into their property for a small fee. You could call a county chambers of commerce on the unit that interest you and see if they have a list of landowners that do this. You never know what you will turn up. Case in point, two years ago a buddy killed a giant Antelope on a zero point unit, while i killed a much-much smaller one on a 10 point central Wyoming unit. Only difference between he and I was that I did not have to look at on X as much as my unit was over 90% public (his was like 15% public).

You can find a decent lope hunt with zero points but it's likely going to be a unit with little public land, high tag numbers, and pressured goats. I used to do second choice hunts every year but I think those days are over. I don't like to throw around unit numbers on open forums for obvious reasons but one area we hunted that we will never go back to was 109. You can probably draw it third choice in the regular draw and you can get goats on public land around a well known monument there, but it's not the type of hunt most people drive all the way to Wyoming for. It's an option if your desperate but know what your signing up for.

You can find a decent lope hunt with zero points but it's likely going to be a unit with little public land, high tag numbers, and pressured goats. I used to do second choice hunts every year but I think those days are over. I don't like to throw around unit numbers on open forums for obvious reasons but one area we hunted that we will never go back to was 109. You can probably draw it third choice in the regular draw and you can get goats on public land around a well known monument there, but it's not the type of hunt most people drive all the way to Wyoming for. It's an option if your desperate but know what your signing up for.

I'm up in the Sheridan area every year with my resident buddy that lives there. No way would I ever try to hunt that 109 area for goats or deer with the majority by far being private property. I'm scratching my head when you mention a "well known monument". What in the world would that be and you can PM me if you don't want to name it out on the thread because I sure don't know what it would be?

I'm up in the Sheridan area every year with my resident buddy that lives there. No way would I ever try to hunt that 109 area for goats or deer with the majority by far being private property. I'm scratching my head when you mention a "well known monument". What in the world would that be and you can PM me if you don't want to name it out on the thread because I sure don't know what it would be?

Fort Fetterman. I've killed two bucks on other parcels in 109 on the two tags I've had. Had this year's packed out by 11:30 on opening day. The biggest bummer was that I was very hungry and the Pizza Hut wasn't having buffet that day so I had to go to Powder River Pizza and wait for them to cook me one instead.

Last edited:
Fort Fetterman. I've killed two bucks on other parcels in 109 on the two tags I've had. Had this year's packed out by 11:30 on opening day. The biggest bummer was that I was very hungry and the Pizza Hut wasn't having buffet that day so I had to go to Powder River Pizza and wait for them to cook me one instead.

Thanks, as I'll have to look that up. We do all our hunting on the other side of the mountain so I don't get off the few main streets when we're back in Sheridan to know where that is. I do know where the PizzaHut is though, LOL, as the deep dish is the best on the planet for my taste!

Thanks, as I'll have to look that up. We do all our hunting on the other side of the mountain so I don't get off the few main streets when we're back in Sheridan to know where that is. I do know where the PizzaHut is though, LOL, as the deep dish is the best on the planet for my taste!

I actually like Powder River's pizza better than Pizza Hut. Just being facetious about having to wait when I wanted buffet.

I actually like Powder River's pizza better than Pizza Hut. Just being facetious about having to wait when I wanted buffet.

You have really got me confused with your posts! He is talking about antelope unit 109 that is between Sheridan and the mountains. I just looked up Fort Fetterman and it's way down 11 miles west of Douglas. So what is the "monument" up in 109?

My mistake. Fort Fetterman is by Douglas and the Fetterman Monument is SE of Sheridan by the county line. Ol Fetterman got around.

Anyway, neither were the topic of this thread and I apologize for the confusion and hijack.

Back