Yeti GOBOX Collection

30:06 Howa VS 7mm 08 Howa Long Range

N

ntodwild

Disclaimer: My interest is not in X brand or X scope or hand loads, specific bullets or any of that.

Here we go:My only two rifles I am willing to consider are the 30:06 and the 7mm 08, not because I think they are the best at this or that. The only brand I will consider is Howa. I have done enough research to have my reasoning so please no posts on "you should get this or that or why that caliber or this caliber would be better, bla bla bla.

I have not hunted rifle season in years as I am a bow hunter at heart. As I get older I am looking at possibly starting to hunt rifle season in addition to my loved archery season but not just the usual. Thinking long range elk hunting (400-600) yards shots and a hunting method that goes with it. I have hunted for over a decade with a rifle when I was younger and have been successful with a rifle but under a different hunting method (300yrd shots or less). My beloved Remington 30:06 has seen it's share of killing and is a trusty partner However it is a short barrel mountain rifle.

My parameters in a rifle are this and only this:

1) Howa rifle brand, best long range "hunting" build in 30:06 or 7mm 08.

Given two Howa rifles of the same build. One in 06 the other in 7mm 08, both with identical long range scopes, long barrels. Essentially two rifles in identical build, which one would you choose and why? I have seen all the ballistic charts on both rounds and deem them to be very similar at the distances I am looking for. What I am Interested in is any unforeseen differences in the two rifles (cost to shoot, OTC ammo availability, price, recoil or ANYTHING that may help me lean in one direction or the other).

Any Howa experts welcome to chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
cost to shoot - similar
OTC ammo availability - 30-06 more common
recoil - 7mm08 significantly less (60% as much)
ANYTHING - while both may work at 400-600, both are more traditionally thought of as 100-400yd tools. If you are starting out fresh with an eye to 400-600, seems odd to so stridently lock in to these (but since you don't want other suggestions I won't bore you).

cost to shoot - similar
OTC ammo availability - 30-06 more common
recoil - 7mm08 significantly less (60% as much)
ANYTHING - while both may work at 400-600, both are more traditionally thought of as 100-400yd tools. If you are starting out fresh with an eye to 400-600, seems odd to so stridently lock in to these (but since you don't want other suggestions I won't bore you).

I am not locking in on those distances per say. I guess I should have stated "Out to 600 yards MAX". If at all closer for sure but I want a rifle that will do the job out to those distances "if needed" in the perimeters I have posted. Reasoning is I would be changing my rifle hunt style from years past as well as the areas/states I would hunt given the time to do so now that I am retired.

I am not locking in on those distances per say. I guess I should have stated "Out to 600 yards MAX". If at all closer for sure but I want a rifle that will do the job out to those distances "if needed" in the perimeters I have posted. Reasoning is I would be changing my rifle hunt style from years past as well as the areas/states I would hunt given the time to do so now that I am retired.

I moved from deer at 70y with my beloved 30-30 to elk & pronghorn out west last year and used 25-06 for pronghorn and .270 for elk. I have 7mm08, .308 and .300wsm that will do the trick as well. I keep my shots under 400y as a matter of personal choice, but if I was wanting to shoot elk at 600y I would definitely carry my .300WSM (7RemMag and 300WM also come to mind at those distances). Lots of good choices to hunt out west, have fun.

Recoil may be more with the 30/06 but for 600 yard capability I wouldn't even consider the 7/08. Plus you have the advantage of many choices in factory ammo for the 30/06. You say you want a rifle built for long range, so it's going to be a relatively heavy rifle, and as such the extra recoil of the 30/06 sholdn't not be un-manageable at all.

Recoil may be more with the 30/06 but for 600 yard capability I wouldn't even consider the 7/08. Plus you have the advantage of many choices in factory ammo for the 30/06. You say you want a rifle built for long range, so it's going to be a relatively heavy rifle, and as such the extra recoil of the 30/06 sholdn't not be un-manageable at all.[/QUOT

The absolute max range I would even consider would be 600 yards given no other option and a perfect broadside shot. Ethically I would surely try and keep it closer If I could. I just want a rifle that can do it IF the occasion arrises. I do shoot on a regular basis mostly as a hobby and have spent plenty of time with a 5:56 rifle in hand target shooting and predator hunting during scouting season. I have alway leaned in the direction of the 30:06 but the 7mm08 has really peaked my curiosity. I owned a 325WSM once that was a hell of a hammer but it was just that! A hammer on my shoulder and on my wallet. I am over the magnum cartridge rifles, at least those that meet the "big game" category.

As stated in my initial post I already own a 30:06 but it's not built for distance (short barreled mountain rifle).

You can get 30-06 factory loads with heavier long range bullets which will definitely get the job done at those distances that have very high BCs. Where you're not going to find a huge assortment of 7-08 factory loads with high BCs, can it be done with more run of the mill ammo.. of course but might as well try to stack of the odds in your favor

OTC ammo~ the '06 has the hands down if you are only buying locally.

Shootability ~goes to the 7/08.

Lethality~ It's a wash as long as you do your part.

You might take a moment to consider what the Grande PooBa of HT has to say about his thoughts on elk cartridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfd3XkHDaDA

(when Howa jumped on as a sponsor, they sent Randy a 7/08)

I’d split the difference and go .308. Lower recoil than the ‘06 and better ammo avail than the 7mm-08.

You can get 30-06 factory loads with heavier long range bullets which will definitely get the job done at those distances that have very high BCs. Where you're not going to find a huge assortment of 7-08 factory loads with high BCs, can it be done with more run of the mill ammo.. of course but might as well try to stack of the odds in your favor

I agree

The gentlemen has made up his mind on everything but the difference between the 30-06 and 7mm-08 at 600 yards for Elk "Within those parameters then 30-06 ---"but" --wait--no buts--o.k. 30-06

I don't think you specified if you handload or not? That would take a way the "factory availability" argument for the 30-06 and some velocity/energy issues with the 7-08.

However, I don't think there are many more modern rounds that scream American than the 30-06. It won two world wars and has probably killed more game than anything else. So if you're the kind of person that cares about things like that, then the 06 is the only option.

Either one would get it done. Handloading would help. Just depends if the nut behind the trigger is capable

Either one would get it done. Handloading would help. Just depends if the nut behind the trigger is capable

At the distances you're pondering, there aren't very many centerfire chamberings that won't work great if you avoid difficult wind conditions.

At the distances you're pondering, there aren't very many centerfire chamberings that won't work great if you avoid difficult wind conditions.

Agreed. Look no farther, than the long-range successes of BuzzH., to see how good the 7 can be. Both are a great choice, but as was stated earlier, the 7-08 is more agreeable to shoot lots of rounds through. Buying ammo is not really as important as it used to be. There are lots of on-line places to order plenty of ammo through.

If you're planning in this being a pretty much elk-specific rifle, you're probably better off with an -06. The 30-06 and 7-08 are probably pretty similar in trajectory, but elk are big. I'm very preferential to short actions, myself, but lining up the 2 cartridges you mementioned for a side-by-side comparison on elk, 30-06 is probably the better choice.

Out of curiosity, why not the .308?

I'm very preferential to short actions, myself, but lining up the 2 cartridges you mementioned for a side-by-side comparison on elk, 30-06 is probably the better choice.

Side by side comparisons mean very little in their ability to kill animals.

Middle bullet was a 140 grain at 6.5 creedmoor velocities. Right bullet is 160 grain out of a 7mm mashburn super magnum which uses 1.5x the amount of powder the 6.5 load did. Both pulled out of elk on offside hide. Both elk stumbled a short distance before falling over. Cartridge size does not equate to killing ability

Attachments

• 98982DF1-82C0-4529-8EF9-5161804123A5.jpg
    98982DF1-82C0-4529-8EF9-5161804123A5.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 367
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back