Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

30:06 Howa VS 7mm 08 Howa Long Range

I agree. More energy with bigger bullets/more speed helps out a whole lot. I think what they meant is that shot placement is more important within a group of cartridges with energies that have enough for the game at hand.

Actually, it does. Otherwise we would never need to have discussions such as this and everyone would be using a 22 rimfire for killing elk.

So is a 257 weatherby a better killing round than a 338-06? Must be because it has a bigger cartridge case

Not that much bigger. Let's compare two that are of the same caliber. 30/30 Winchester and 300 Weatherby. Which kills better at 600 yards?
I’d take a 30-30 launching 168 LRAB over a 300 weatherby launching 110 vmax. Bullets matter more than headstamps

You can get 30-06 factory loads with heavier long range bullets which will definitely get the job done at those distances that have very high BCs. Where you're not going to find a huge assortment of 7-08 factory loads with high BCs, can it be done with more run of the mill ammo.. of course but might as well try to stack of the odds in your favor

Bullet's of higher BC's are of no use at all if the shooter is not up to it! I don't know the velocity of the 160gr bullet in a 7mm-08 will likely let the bullet preform better a closer range than a like bullet in 30-06 at higher velocity! To get better bullet performance in the 30-06 you'd need to either load down the 30-06 or up the bullet weight! Were it me, I'd eliminate the need to shoot to 600 yds. Chances are unless you are looking for a shot that far, you are never gonna see it! Then the way the bullet perform's at that range may be radically different than at a closer range. If you are using a bullet designed to work well at 600 yds then at much lesser more normal ranges the bullet will become more fragile! Of course the only option I can see to off set that is the use of monolithic bullet's and I don't shoot premium bullet's!

Which would I choose them? The 7mm-08 for less recoil in a lighter rifle! With proper bullet' for the range's being shot, what one will do so will the other. A good bullet weight in 7mm does not necessarily make a good bullet weight in 30-06!

The difference of a 7mm-08 shooting 160s at 2700fps and a 30-06 shooting 180s at 2800fps is so close it’s not worth worrying about. Drop is easy to calculate. The real problem is if you are good enough to read the wind for a 600 yard shot. To me 500 yards and in isnt a problem. Seems like after 500 yards things start to get squirrelly

30-06 : I have a Ruger 1B with the 26" barrel and love that rifle. It shoots great. The 30-06 is one heck of a cartridge too and would be my pick out of the two you list!

Side by side comparisons mean very little in their ability to kill animals.

Middle bullet was a 140 grain at 6.5 creedmoor velocities. Right bullet is 160 grain out of a 7mm mashburn super magnum which uses 1.5x the amount of powder the 6.5 load did. Both pulled out of elk on offside hide. Both elk stumbled a short distance before falling over. Cartridge size does not equate to killing ability

Others have pointed this out already in some form or another, but the difference will be in hydrostatic shock on the receiving end, which will cause faster organ failure in big critters.

But I totally agree, either will work.

The difference of a 7mm-08 shooting 160s at 2700fps and a 30-06 shooting 180s at 2800fps is so close it’s not worth worrying about. Drop is easy to calculate. The real problem is if you are good enough to read the wind for a 600 yard shot. To me 500 yards and in isnt a problem. Seems like after 500 yards things start to get squirrelly

160gn bullet moving at 2700 fps. I think that's pushing it for a 7-08.

I'd lean '06 just for ammo availability and selection. I love my 7mm-08, but getting a desired loading can be kinda spotty if you are ever in a last minute situation.

That's about the only thing in my opinion leaning in the .30-06's favor outside the ability to launch bigger pills. I'm solidly in the camp of the Bullet means more than the Caliber. High quality pills put where they need to go will drop anything.

Heck, WMD Bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 7x57 with FMJ ammo

Hmmm...
Having shot both for some years, kinda a tossup for me.
Having a shorter barrel 06' means nothing about hitting a target(animal) at 600 yards.
Either YOU are capable, or YOU are not.
I will agree with brockel, after 500 yards, wind matter wayyy more!

My middle ground is either 280Rem, or 284 Win.

160gn bullet moving at 2700 fps. I think that's pushing it for a 7-08.

Not really. Have owned 5 7mm-08s. RL17 and Ramshot Hunter does wonders for this round. Can hit 2700+ without horsing it. Put 162 grain eldx on top and it makes it even easier since it has less bearing surface

Even nosler,Alliant, and Ramshot agree

Attachments

• 184F5433-F834-42E0-AA5C-AFE41C0D150E.jpg
    184F5433-F834-42E0-AA5C-AFE41C0D150E.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 238
  • B6FB3386-CE00-4901-AB5B-9C57A80A6881.jpg
    B6FB3386-CE00-4901-AB5B-9C57A80A6881.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 238
  • D71F12FD-136C-484F-A7FB-AE2ED0ECFA28.jpg
    D71F12FD-136C-484F-A7FB-AE2ED0ECFA28.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 235
So, you had limited rifle experience, then spent many years archery hunting, which involves getting as close as possible to your game....so, why the sudden interest in 'long range' hunting? I know they make it look easy on TV....

So, you had limited rifle experience, then spent many years archery hunting, which involves getting as close as possible to your game....so, why the sudden interest in 'long range' hunting? I know they make it look easy on TV....

I wouldn't say my experience is limited. I rifle hunted for 14 years both Elk and Deer. I would consider a "fair" amount of rifle and firearms and distance shooting experience with my military service as well. I have been hunting archery now for 18 years and just got hooked on it. My interest is not in long range hunting. Now that I am retired I am looking to "expand" my hunting seasons with Sept. hunting for elk here in Washington and Octobers spent in neighboring states (non resident tags) rifle hunting bulls. I have the ability to be in the field 70+ days a year and have done so the last few years. My interest is in having a rifle that will do what I need it to do in areas I may not have ever been to before IF the need arrises. It doesn't mean that I am looking to strictly poke out to 600 yards. Many western states have some fabulous Elk hunting GMU's that just require a different tactic during rifle season aside from blind hunting, spot and stalk short range shooting or tree stand.

On that note I shoot distance quite often with varmint rifles and have a fair understanding of it. I am physically in very good shape for my age and have no problems hiking the hills so getting close is not something I shy from. Not interested in taking unethical shots. It would just be nice to have the confidence in a rifles ability to reach out to that distance IF the need arises. I think my initial post was quite misleading and I should have made it more clear that MAX range would be out to 600 yards.

I do appreciate all the posts. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this ended up being a double post. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would choose the 30-06. Despite what many might say, if you do a bit of digging on the internet you will see that the 30-06 was designed to be effective out to 1000 yards. The US military spent many years and there are literally 1000's of pages on the research done on the design and effective capabilities of the 30-06. There are many good bullet choices for this particular cartridge, personally I believe you can't beat a good 165-168gr. bullet as an good all around choice for many game species, or if you head into grizzly country you can go to a heavier bullet load in a 200 or 220 grain bullet. There is not much you can not do with the 30-06, it just works, and does it's job as intended.

Its a good conversation on the 7mm-08 or 06 but we can all give reasons why we think what we think. I lean more to the 06 but thats just me. Before i can realy recommend one i need to know what you want out of it. You saying i want to shoot elk out to 600 yards. If thats it then flip a quarter. Heads 06 tales 08. Give more info like recoil do you hand load or is it just what you can find at walmart will you ever be thinking moose or will you be going down in size like to prong horn. Give some info than we can give a informed answer.

Just fyi, weatherby vanguards are also howa rifles, so that may open up your choices locally for different models in your caliber of choice.

Not a hard choice at all for me. If elk hunting is the desired game and you are planning to shoot out to 600 yards the better of the two choices is whatever retains the most energy at longer distances. Unless you are using some crazy configuration of bullet weights that skew the efficiency of the cartridge 30-06 > 7mm-08. I've never wished I had less energy and penetration when I shot an elk. I loved the performance of my .325 WSM with a 200 gr. accubond. I didn't love the $70 a box ammo. Currently shooting an '06 and feeling the cartridge adequate out to ranges past my effective 400 yard abilities but it doesn't penetrate as well as the larger calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back