AZ license loophole

I feel like I remember reading about how you can avoid buying a license every year but not sure the details on it. Am I imagining things or is it possible? Maybe something to do with applying for elk before last years license expires.

Andy

I think you can apply with a license about to expire, I just applied for elk and lope and my license will expire Friday the 18th, but if I remember correctly, at the time of the draw you have to have a valid license. The way they stagger deer/other species, you'll have to probably end up with one every year anyway.

If you’re doing elk/antelope, buy the license and apply on feb 12, it will be valid next year on the 11th when you apply in 2020. It’ll work until the date kicks back which I believe is 2022. And it’s not really a loophole, you still need a license to hunt.

Useless exercise if you apply deer. You will end up buying license every year because deadline dates are so different

My fear is the system crashing on the last day to apply. I wouldn't be afraid of applying the last day if I was just starting but now I have the loyalty point. I believe you can chose the beginning date for your license which would allow you to apply before the last day every other year.

It's not like Utah that has a bigger window. Just buy the license and save the headache

Last edited:
It works. I do this every other yr. never fails. I just buy deer and sheep pts every other yr when I have a valid license as they aren’t as important to me as the elk pts

Useless exercise if you apply deer. You will end up buying license every year because deadline dates are so different

You can make it work where you only have to buy a license every 2 out of 3 years.

Year 1: Buy license on last day of elk draw. License is obviously still good for deer draw.
Year 2: Elk license will still be valid on the deadline day for elk. Then you buy a license on the last day of the deer draw.
Year 3: License from year 2 covers everything.

Not worth it though in my opinion. Wouldn't want to take a chance with something going wrong on the last day and not being able to get an app in. Pretty sure in AZ, you can't miss even 1 year or you'll lose your points.

You can make it work where you only have to buy a license every 2 out of 3 years.

Year 1: Buy license on last day of elk draw. License is obviously still good for deer draw.
Year 2: Elk license will still be valid on the deadline day for elk. Then you buy a license on the last day of the deer draw.
Year 3: License from year 2 covers everything.

Not worth it though in my opinion. Wouldn't want to take a chance with something going wrong on the last day and not being able to get an app in. Pretty sure in AZ, you can't miss even 1 year or you'll lose your points.

That’s a Great strategy.
But Having the loyalty point I’m too scared to risk it.

That’s a Great strategy.
But Having the loyalty point I’m too scared to risk it.

I feel the same way! I applied for 2019 last week. My 2018 lic doesnt expire until Feb 6th. I didnt want to run the risk of losing the loyalty point so I chose my new license to start on Feb 12th the last day of the draw. Based on this strategy my license will be good for next years draw. Needless to say I will be making a call way in advance to see if I will get a point even if my License expires on the last day of the draw in 2020. If so then I will do the 2/3 so I can get apply for deer/sheep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back