MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

“Must-See” areas in Wyoming?

huntinsonovagun

In a thread a few months ago, I mentioned the possibility on taking my young family to Wyoming for a vacation/antelope hunting trip. I’ve got one PP, but I think I’m now leaning towards just getting a couple of doe tags (mainly due to the horror stories I’ve read about the easy-to-draw units and the crowds/jackwagons). I’ll still put in for some of the “better” units for bucks to build points, but what are some really cool areas of the state to visit that I might also have the opportunity to get a couple doe tags? Maybe some cool historical areas, rock formations, kids’ activities, etc (all three will be 4 and under).

We’re thinking we may try to hit up Yellowstone while we’re there, but undecided...that’s a LONG way with little kids! It’s likely that we would road trip up through CO (coming from northeast OKlahoma) and maybe back through the Badlands?? Thanks for any suggestions!

Stop at wall drug for sure if you're in the Badlands. Sure it's kinda goofy but the kids love it and I usually find something interesting in the book store.

Wall Drug is a must! If you're driving up through CO, I would go up through Rawlins to Dubois and then over to GTNP and Jellystone. Although going up through Pinedale and Hoback canyon is awesome too. I'm not sure on things for Kids to do. I know Jackson Hole mountain resort has some kid friendly stuff in the summer, but not sure other than that. Enjoy!

We did a combo family vacation/pronghorn trip last year. Drove from Tennessee. We went thru badlands and MT Rushmore on the way in, hunted 3 days around kaycee, spent a little time looking around the Hole in the Wall area, west of Kaycee, then headed up to Yellowstone/Grand Teton for 3 days. It was too much driving but everyone, including Momma, enjoyed it.

Last edited:
If you can live without YNP you can save a lot of driving. Black hills, Rushmore, Devils towers are all great. If you like to get away from the crowds Ft Robinson in Nebraska is a lot of fun and has great history, located just south of the Black Hills. Nearby is the Hudson Ming bone site, toadstool geologic park. and FT Rob has a pool, rafting, fishing, horses, wagon rides, and all sorts of activities. It's really good if you don't like dealing with people as it's never busy out there and also has an enormous amount of indian/cowboy history including where Crazy Horse died. Most of it is still very much like it was back then and you can stay in the actual historic homes and buildings, it's a really cool experience if you enjoy western history.

Hot Springs SD is a good place with the mamoth site, wild horse refuge, the hot spring, and plenty of adventures to be had in the Black Hills

If you stay south Saratoga is a great place to spend a few days and has a hot spring and lots of fun to be had in the surrounding mountains and river. This is a good one if you decide to hit Rocky Mountain NP in Colorado. You could take the Southern Route fight crowds at pikes peak and RMNP, and then relax in Saratoga for a few days.

Curt Gowdy state park is a good place to visit between Laramie and Cheyenne if you are passing through.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are awesome. Much more info already than I expected! I think we can definitely skip Yellowstone with all of those suggestions. Something I’d stil like to do at some point...maybe when the kids are a little older.

I like trying to plan for these kinds of trips. There are good ideas already mentioned. There are Wyoming Topographic Recreation Maps on amazon that give a good list of things that might be interesting and roads to get there. Fort Robinson is pretty cool. Its worth a stop. I think Thermopolis, like was mentioned in another topic is a place that is pretty kid friendly. You can swim in the hot springs, and the museums are pretty cool. It cuts a couple hours off the drive to Yellowstone. This is where my ideas start to add more miles, but if you go north through Hyattville there are some cool rock formations and petroglyphs, further north towards Shell and Greybull there are dinosaur footprints and sometimes you can find fossils in the BLM, then you can loop back over the Big Horns, all three paved routes are cut into the mountain and they have signs showing the different rock formations and ages, on the east side there some other things like Fort Phil Kearney, then you go east to Devils Tower and other things already mentioned. That could have been written better, but its some ideas.

If you stop in the black hills, a couple places to check out would be the reptile gardens and the cosmos. The cosmos are pretty cool, especially for kids.

I have not been impressed with Yellowstone as it's just too packed with tourists from all over the world. I'd go up from Buffalo into the Big Horns going north for a couple days and then come down into Dayton not too far from Montana. Go on down through Sheridan and go east on I-90 at Buffalo over to Devils Tower. From there it's not that far into the Badlands and on into the Black Hills of SD with all kinds of stuff for adults and kids to see including Rushmore along with a few hours through Custer State Park just south of it.

If you visit Rushmore, make sure to also visit Crazy Horse.

Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in Jackson.

Badlands Petrified Gardens in South Dakota.

Yep, as you can do Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and the drive through Custer State Park in one day since none are very far apart.

I'm poaching a few of these great ideas, as we're taking a family trip to the Black Hills next October.

Our list so far includes Badlands NP, Rushmore/Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, a tour in Wind Cave NP, tourist trap stuff in Deadwood. Hopefully lots of hiking and wildlife viewing.

As far as Saratoga, I took advantage of the free showers on my elk/pronghorn hunt this year, and the hot springs seemed kind of shady even in the middle of the afternoon. Beautiful town and area, but I'm not sure how I would feel about taking the kids to the soak-n-poke.

Ah, the hot spring pool in Saratoga may look shady but it's not.
When you come up through Laramie definitely take the drive over the Snowy Range Scenic byway, Highway 130 to Saratoga, even if not stopping in Saratoga.
You might look into staying at a FS cabin . Some have running water and inside toilets, some are very rustic.
I would save YNP for when the kids are older and will remember it.
The drive along highway 34 and Sybille Canyon has a G&F research facility with some big bull elk and bighorn sheep in pens near the highway. They feed every morning and you can get up close and personal at the fence with them.

We have some neat things to see all over the state. Some "toursity" and some natural.

Back