PEAX Equipment

“Must-See” areas in Wyoming?

Hot Springs in Thermopolis, the park has a free pool.
A drive through wind river canon
Hells half acre
Irma hotel in Cody, they do a shoot out in the street certain nights of the week

Very cool guys- THANKS!

How about this- from what I gather, pronghorn country looks basically the same just about everywhere. Is there an area or a unit that is really unique/beautiful that is just an awesome place to go hunt pronghorns?

I would second Cody and the museum. The rodeo there is awesome as well during the summer months. Count me as someone who was NOT impressed with Devils Tower. Look up a picture on the internet and it is as good as being there. Bear Country in Rapid City was a hit with my kids. I also still like Yellowstone even though there can be a lot of tourists. Yellowstone is still Yellowstone! The Battle of Little Bighorn National Monument is cool if you are into history.

I like trying to plan for these kinds of trips. There are good ideas already mentioned. There are Wyoming Topographic Recreation Maps on amazon that give a good list of things that might be interesting and roads to get there. Fort Robinson is pretty cool. Its worth a stop. I think Thermopolis, like was mentioned in another topic is a place that is pretty kid friendly. You can swim in the hot springs, and the museums are pretty cool. It cuts a couple hours off the drive to Yellowstone. This is where my ideas start to add more miles, but if you go north through Hyattville there are some cool rock formations and petroglyphs, further north towards Shell and Greybull there are dinosaur footprints and sometimes you can find fossils in the BLM, then you can loop back over the Big Horns, all three paved routes are cut into the mountain and they have signs showing the different rock formations and ages, on the east side there some other things like Fort Phil Kearney, then you go east to Devils Tower and other things already mentioned. That could have been written better, but its some ideas.

There also is an old time A & W rootbeer stand in Greybull.

In pinedale don't miss the mountain man museum. It was a trip highlight for whole family. And then go hit the pond they stock rainbows in for kids.

Depending on what antelope unit you draw and when you hunt, a YNP/Cody combo could be a fun way to go. Buffalo Bill Museum and Irma Hotel are must-sees. YNP in the fall is tough to beat. After Labor Day, the crowds go down -- though not away -- but by October 1st, lots of concessions are closed (check the website for details on what closes when). Between Sept 15 and Oct 1 can be a pretty cool time in the park.

I remember as a kid seeing signs for "free water" at Wall Drug for 100s of miles. I definitely have great memories as a young boy of Wall Drug, Rushmore, the badlands, Cody, Jackson, and Raton Pass. Nothing like a trip out west to stoke the fire in a boy.

It was a long while ago though there is a great family friendly fossil excavation site. They show you how, you split slate like rock and find cool fossils. I don't know if this is the same though...
http://www.fishdig.com
I worked as a young one playing Wrangler for Jackson Lake Lodge in Teton Natl Park (Colter Bay Village) if its the same as when we took guests out, it was a blast for those within my string. Everything from horse ride with elk, moose, etc, to guiding the group to a breakfast, lunch or dinner at a wagon wheel outdoor setting. We would guitar out some terrible cowboy poetry, etc. Haha! Good memories.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...illage-Grand_Teton_National_Park_Wyoming.html

During my youth work adventure, I worked @ Togwotee Mtn Lodge outside Moran. Horse rides were a fixture into the Bridger Teton Wilderness. Back then it was a family owned lodge though I imagine this is mostly the same.
https://www.togwoteelodge.com/togwotee-pass-activities/summer-at-togwotee/horseback-riding/

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back