Idaho Spring Black Bear hunt

dirtnap_nation

Hey guys my dad and I are looking into doing our first Idaho OTC DIY Spring Black Bear hunt for this upcoming season. We are going to be doing a spot and stalk hunt and learning the terrain and scouting out deer and elk for possibly coming back for a deer hunt. We were looking at the southern portion of the state where we have deer hunted but decided to try and hunt farther north where the bear density is much higher. We have been looking in the panhandle, selway and palouse areas but aren't sure which unit we should take a look at. I'm not asking for exact coordinates or even roads just wanted to know if you can point me towards a unit that we should take a look at. It would be greatly appreciated.

Selway would be real tough. Low densities of anything living besides wolves. Panhandle is something to look into. Do your research on the Fish and Game website and talking to bios.

Scouting for deer and elk isn't normally very effective because they aren't in the same spots at all in the fall in most places. You will need to play close attention to which roads are open and driveable. Spring bear driving access throughout Idaho is a major challenge that will likely impact your hunt.

Selway would be real tough. Low densities of anything living besides wolves. Panhandle is something to look into. Do your research on the Fish and Game website and talking to bios.

Scouting for deer and elk isn't normally very effective because they aren't in the same spots at all in the fall in most places. You will need to play close attention to which roads are open and driveable. Spring bear driving access throughout Idaho is a major challenge that will likely impact your hunt.

North Idaho is a good choice if your looking for success, more density. Thicker...but find some open faces to glass. They should be out and moving a lot during the spring.

Unit 8 is loaded with bears. I lived there but I baited. I never saw many when I was hiking but it was easy to see them when using bait ( which I understand you will not be doing).

If I remember correctly, I only hunted 3 times and took 2 (one with a bow).

There is bear sign everywhere (poop, stumps tore up, etc...) in that unit. 8A is every bit as good as well as far as sign. I spent most my time hunting whitetails in 8A. But you couldn't bait in that unit so I never hunted them there.

It was years ago but I doubt much has changed.

Unit 10 holds lots of bear. If you are willing to hike you can get into some pretty great bear country. Try Kelly creek trail 567. Hike until Bruin trail then head up to the meadows. Lots of bear and wolves in there. It’s $41 for an out of state tag in unit 10.
Also look into units 13 and 18. I’ve killed bear all over that country.
If you can hike you’ll find bear.

Unit 10 holds lots of bear. If you are willing to hike you can get into some pretty great bear country. Try Kelly creek trail 567. Hike until Bruin trail then head up to the meadows. Lots of bear and wolves in there. It’s $41 for an out of state tag in unit 10.
Also look into units 13 and 18. I’ve killed bear all over that country.
If you can hike you’ll find bear.
Cody, thanks for sharing info---I'm scrolling this thread. Any additional commentary you can provide on the terrain in Unit 10? I ask because my first attempt at bear spot and stalk hunting in ID was this last spring. I tried Selway wilderness (unit 17) and found it very tough to hunt. The canyons are too steep for much visibility very far, and if you do see something far off, there is no crossing big swollen spring run off rivers. I was wondering what your experience was in 10, and how hikeable, and glassable areas are there---I'm assuming heavy wooded terrain, right? Thanks, -Matt

I'm eavesdropping on this thread. I hunt Idaho spring bear every year and have only gotten one bear. Most years I don't even see any so I'm doing something wrong or am in the wrong place. It's still fun to go out though.

DSC_0251.JPG

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back