Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Seeking Information on LEUPOLD VX-3I 3.5-10X40MM / Determining Authenticity?

Synoptic 12

I'm seeking some information regarding Leupold scopes, namely LEUPOLD VX-3I 3.5-10X40MM. There have been many instances of merchants selling counterfeit scopes on Ebay and elsewhere. Could any provide any insight as to how the exterior of the box is sealed and as to what, if any labels or stickers are affixed to the box. Secondarily, how can one determine a 'refurbished' scope, or one that may have been repackaged? Naturally, the serial numbers should provide the date of manufacture.

I recently made a purchase for the above Leupold scope and was concerned as to receiving an authentic Leupold scope. I do own other Leupold scopes but cannot recall if any labels or stickers were placed on the box. In fact, I do not believe this to be so.

*Enclosed are two pictures of the same Leupold scope with different color at the ends. Any and all information relating to the aforesaid is truly appreciated. All replies are welcome.

Attachments

• Leupold 1.jpg
    Leupold 1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Leupold 2.jpg
    Leupold 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 325
The boxes in question are for different scopes, the VX-3 and VX-3i, the differences are subtle but still different scopes. To be sure you have a genuine scope contact Leupold with your serial number and put your worries to rest.

Thank you very much. I did contact Leupold prior to ordering. Leupold said they would not advise anyone to purchase on Ebay. When I made mention that the vendor was 'an authorized Leupold Gold Ring dealer', Leupold first checked the information and then said "They should not be selling on Ebay" but confirmed they were listed as a Gold Ring Dealer. Additionally, Leupold said to obtain the serial number. When I asked the vendor for the number prior to ordering, the vendor said 'we do not give out the serial number' to "protect the buyer".

I do have a few questions:
1.) Are there any characteristics to denote a 'repackaged' or 'refurbished' scope being sold as "new"?
2.) It appears that the hour is imprinted on the bottom right of the second box. I have enclosed my Leupold box as a reference point (picture) whereby there is no hour. Is this a new facet Leupold has set in place?
3.) There appears to be a 'bar' and'scan' code on the second box as well. There is only a 'bar' code on my Leupold box (2-7x33).

Attachments

• Leupold II 005.jpg
    Leupold II 005.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Just curious, do prices appear too good to be true? What's the return policy and seller's rating?

The purchase protection is covered in the stipulations of Ebay policy. I've never had any issues pertaining to the aforesaid policy, as Ebay has been more than generous in allotting a refund, including shipping costs. The price was $271.00 + $8.95 shipping. I felt that was a fairly good price for a Leupold, especially the VX3i 3.5-10x40. There is only one drawback if any can consider it to be of value: The field of view (FOV) at the low end is only 29.8 feet. To me, this seems to be not that important, especially if one knows where they're 'aiming'. In fact, I sometimes find a wide field of view a distraction but to each his own. Your thoughts. Thank you very much.

* Sellers rating is AAA+ out of more than 5000 sales.

Last edited:
First picture is a counterfeit. First and most obvious clue: "matte" is spelled wrong.

Second, if you look up model number 66270, it SHOULD be a VX-3 3.5-10x50mm. So a 50 millimeter objective lens, not a 40mm like is printed on the box.

Was it from Molly's on Ebay? If so, I bought one from the same seller. It is an authentic Leupold. Great deal!

Yes, the purchase was made at Molly's Place. In fact, I just received the shipment; well before the allotted shipping time. I verified the information with Leupold, namely Ryan and Tyson in technical support. Would you know what the numbers in the bottom right corner designate (18119 11:28)? I asked Leupold and neither sales or technical support could provide any answer. Thank you very much for your input.

First picture is a counterfeit. First and most obvious clue: "matte" is spelled wrong.

Second, if you look up model number 66270, it SHOULD be a VX-3 3.5-10x50mm. So a 50 millimeter objective lens, not a 40mm like is printed on the box.

Thank you very much for your awareness.

wait so you agree with Washington Hunter that they are counterfeit but disagree with me that you got scammed? I'm really confused.
You may have misconstrued the meaning thereof. I was aware of the different labels as pointed out by Washington Hunter. However, the two(2) photos initially posted relating to the VX3i were 'not' mine; taken from Ebay. The third photo is mine, not relevant to the VX3i. You may have missed 'pgidly's response and to how I addressed the answer.

* I certainly agree with Washington Hunter but I believe that you may have taken the (2) pictures to be associated with me, 'incorrect'. Aside from that could you possibly address the numbers below the scan code (18119 11:28). These numbers and what appears to be a 2400 hour time stamp cannot be confirmed by Leupold. There are no numbers on the old VX II box denoting any type of signature as stated.

Last edited:
The purchase protection is covered in the stipulations of Ebay policy. I've never had any issues pertaining to the aforesaid policy, as Ebay has been more than generous in allotting a refund, including shipping costs. The price was $271.00 + $8.95 shipping. I felt that was a fairly good price for a Leupold, especially the VX3i 3.5-10x40. There is only one drawback if any can consider it to be of value: The field of view (FOV) at the low end is only 29.8 feet. To me, this seems to be not that important, especially if one knows where they're 'aiming'. In fact, I sometimes find a wide field of view a distraction but to each his own. Your thoughts. Thank you very much.

* Sellers rating is AAA+ out of more than 5000 sales.

Good scope, good price. good warranty. Enjoy.

Surely, there must be some bolt people on this forum. I would like to ask a question relating to F.O.V., namely on the Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. The F.O.V. is 29.8 feet on the low end. How many believe this aspect is a significant factor? I do not believe that a smaller F.O.V. would negate finding a target one can recognize. As mentioned earlier, I sometimes find a wide F.O.V. a distraction. Any input here would truly be appreciated.

The field of view on 10 power isn't that critical. I have the same scope. I keep it set at the lowest power most of the time. When I'm getting set up to shoot, if I have time and if the animal is further than around 75 yards or so, I'll turn it up to 10 at that time. The only time you need the maximum field of view is when the target is close and/or moving.

The field of view on 10 power isn't that critical. I have the same scope. I keep it set at the lowest power most of the time. When I'm getting set up to shoot, if I have time and if the animal is further than around 75 yards or so, I'll turn it up to 10 at that time. The only time you need the maximum field of view is when the target is close and/or moving.

*Yes, most certainly agree with the brief synopsis you presented, "Right on the money".

At least you didnt buy it from "Wish" and then ask about its authenticity. I have a buddy who purchased a "Trijicon RMR" from there and used to think it was legit. He knows now it's not real, but It does work good though...

Surely, there must be some bolt people on this forum. I would like to ask a question relating to F.O.V., namely on the Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. The F.O.V. is 29.8 feet on the low end. How many believe this aspect is a significant factor? I do not believe that a smaller F.O.V. would negate finding a target one can recognize. As mentioned earlier, I sometimes find a wide F.O.V. a distraction. Any input here would truly be appreciated.

I don't believe 30' on the 3.5-10 is a downfall. I believe the 4.5-14 has somewhere around 18' for FOV. That is too narrow for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back