NR Hunting Opportunities Feb-Mar

Ozzy

Howdy,

My employer may send me on a last minute 60 day work trip to Alaska. I would be there for most of February and March. I would be based out of Anchorage. I would probably be able to get away from the city for 48-96 hours max. Do any of you have any hunting recommedations for a situation like this? I know it's a long shot that I would harvest something. I just want to get out into the Alaskan wilderness with a tag in my pocket. I am obviously a non resident. And I'm willing to hunt with a bow or rifle. I'm going to go poke around the Alaskan fish and game website, but suggestions from those that have hunted Alaska are appreciated.

Cheers,

Ozzy

In your time frame you're going to be pretty much limited to small game hunting. Bears will be asleep, moose closed, caribou not available to non residents - the only exception might be a Haul Road archery hunt (check the regs), but your time allowed would be shot with the drive involved. Sheep & goat seasons are closed. Deer (Unit 6 & 8) is closed. Snowshoe hares, spruce grouse and predators (fox & coyote) are going to be it. You may want to try ice fishing at one of the lakes.

black bears on the kenai peninsula sometimes wake up late march but are never out in any real numbers till about 2nd week of April. other than that you are pretty much stuck with small game. winter king fishing on kachemak bay is another option.

I am going to start looking at my fishing options. Thank you guys.

I decided to also look into some small game opportunities. White tailed ptarmigan looks like an experience! Anyone on here know anything about that hunt?

Only thing I know is I hope to shoot one in a couple of weeks when I'm up there to help a buddy with a tag. Don't know how common they are in the area we'll be, but for $60 for a license it's worth the chance to me.

I decided to also look into some small game opportunities. White tailed ptarmigan looks like an experience! Anyone on here know anything about that hunt?

Have you checked the AK game regs yet? I suggest you do. The game units you could reasonably access (with the time restrictions you stipulated) are: 7, 13, 14, 15 and a small portion of 16. I'm not sure if ptarmigan will be open in those units during your time frame. These units encompass huge areas and all portions of any given unit will not be accessible to a day or weekend hunt.
The most common ptarmigan found in AK is the willow ptarmigan. The will be found close to willow stands, that are at the highest altitude and still be accessible to the birds (ie: not completely covered by snow).

Be further advised that the time period you will be here is also the most dangerous time to be in the mountains, due to the possibility of avalanche.

Back