Caribou Gear

Can you put your young kids in for draw units?

Ried#3

I’m not an expert by any means. I have young boys 9 and 7 who will be interested in hunting. Can i get their name in and start building points for some awesome units or will I have to wait till they are actually old enough to go? I’m thinking 18-22 age timeframe before I kick the bucket!

Minimum age to buy points and/or hunt varies state to state. Just gotta check the regs in the state you’re interested in. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I guess to be more specific if you could start applying anywhere at a young age where would it be? And is it even legal at a young age? That part i guess I will need to do some research.

As was said in the first reply, different states have different minimum ages for applying for preference and/or bonus points. I believe Montana now has no minimum age for bonus points. Generally, you can’t actually put your kids in for a “draw unit” unless they will be of legal hunting age when the season opens. You wouldn’t want your child to draw a tag if they will be too young to legally hunt.

I think some states are 10 and some are 12, as Magnum said, gotta take a look at each state. The regs are pretty specific and easy to find info. I think Arizona is 10.

Thanks guys. I just had a wild hair thinking about it and thought I would throw it out there.

I started buying bonus points in Montana for my son when he was 1 . When he’s 12 and able to draw a bull permit he’s gonna have a good shot

I started buying bonus points in Montana for my son when he was 1 . When he’s 12 and able to draw a bull permit he’s gonna have a good shot

I started with my oldest (4 yrs) last year in Montana and will be starting his younger brother (6 months) this year.

This thread is depressing. But, I'll be doing the same with my kiddos as soon as they reach the required ages.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back