Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which unit should I hunt Idaho Elk this Fall

BSluga

Hi everyone,
A couple buddies and I are planning on doing an Idaho OTC bull elk hunt this fall. I was looking for some opinions on where to hunt. We were going to hunt out of Salmon but drug our feet and missed out on NR tags. We want to do a diy hunt and set up camp somewhere in the mountains we can drive to, and then hike out each day from there. I was thinking about unit 27, but have read a lot on here that it’s very difficult country. Any thoughts on hunting that area near Challis on FR 86? This will be my buddies first trip out west. I hunted elk in the Panhandle area and Lola area when I was younger. I wasn’t impressed with the Panhandle area 20 years ago but would like your thoughts. I did like the Lolo area last time I was there but I’ve heard the wolves have really hurt the elk hunting. Is it worth hunting in the Lolo area? Particularly around the Lochsa river?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Both areas are struggling to some extent, largely due to predators but also hunting pressure in general areas probably plays some effect. Below or barely at the bottom of objectives. You'd work very hard to find and shoot an elk in there.

What helped me in determining a unit was contacting both USFS, BLM and IDFG Biologist and asking about elk herd densities, available habitat, and the status of their roads. onX and Gohunt are pretty awesome as well in determining the units. I notice this is your first post. Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the responses so far. I plan on contacting an IDFG Biologist once I decide where to go. Doing a little more research what are the opinions of the Palisades Zone (GMU 64, 65, 67) and Tex Creek Zone (GMU 66, 69)? I know there's a lot of private land but thought there might be opportunity in the NF or even looking into paying a trespass fee. From the hunt planner it looked like the success was better in Tex Creek, but there were fewer hunters in the Palisades which could be why the success was low.

I have been hunting unit 4 Panhandle and have taken a bull every year for past 18 years. I don't pass on much but all but one have been respectable size. All but 2 taken on opener.

Thanks for the responses so far. I plan on contacting an IDFG Biologist once I decide where to go. Doing a little more research what are the opinions of the Palisades Zone (GMU 64, 65, 67) and Tex Creek Zone (GMU 66, 69)? I know there's a lot of private land but thought there might be opportunity in the NF or even looking into paying a trespass fee. From the hunt planner it looked like the success was better in Tex Creek, but there were fewer hunters in the Palisades which could be why the success was low.

Did you hunt either of these units? How was the hunting?

I have hunted the Tex creek units hard. There is game, but there is also a ton of pressure. ATVs and horses are every trailhead. In our experience the abundance and accessibility of game is also very weather-dependent.

Hi everyone,
A couple buddies and I are planning on doing an Idaho OTC bull elk hunt this fall. I was looking for some opinions on where to hunt. We were going to hunt out of Salmon but drug our feet and missed out on NR tags. We want to do a diy hunt and set up camp somewhere in the mountains we can drive to, and then hike out each day from there. I was thinking about unit 27, but have read a lot on here that it’s very difficult country. Any thoughts on hunting that area near Challis on FR 86? This will be my buddies first trip out west. I hunted elk in the Panhandle area and Lola area when I was younger. I wasn’t impressed with the Panhandle area 20 years ago but would like your thoughts. I did like the Lolo area last time I was there but I’ve heard the wolves have really hurt the elk hunting. Is it worth hunting in the Lolo area? Particularly around the Lochsa river?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Where? Not the one I am. Outside of that you should be set.

Did you hunt either of these units? How was the hunting?
We hunted 66. Saw several good bulls the night before the season. That canyon had probably 20 hunters in it on the opener. I passed on a Spike opening morning and never saw a bull the rest of our hunt. I think if I hunted that unit again I’d take horses.

We hunted 66. Saw several good bulls the night before the season. That canyon had probably 20 hunters in it on the opener. I passed on a Spike opening morning and never saw a bull the rest of our hunt. I think if I hunted that unit again I’d take horses.
I know this is a year later, but I just finished hunting unit 66 as well. A horse or llama is a must. You gotta really hike in far to get back to the good stuff.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back