Yeti GOBOX Collection

Full Moon September 2019

Hoosiergrass

Looks like the full moon hits this year on September 13th. A buddy and I are headed out to southwest Colorado for a DIY elk hunt and are trying to decide if we should go the first 2 weeks, the middle 2 weeks or the last 2 weeks. Based on the full moon date this year, what would be your plan?

Looks like the full moon hits this year on September 13th. A buddy and I are headed out to southwest Colorado for a DIY elk hunt and are trying to decide if we should go the first 2 weeks, the middle 2 weeks or the last 2 weeks. Based on the full moon date this year, what would be your plan?

I would go whenever works the best for your schedule, first weekend you can still catch elk in their summer habits last two are better for calling, of the factors that will determine your success phase of the moon has got to be at the very bottom just below whether you are wearing sitka or kuiu. I just went back through a moon phase calendar and of the 9 successful elk hunts I've been a part of 4 were no moon 5 were day before/after/during full moon.

Last edited:
I would go when ever works the best for your schedule, first weekend you can still catch elk in their summer habits last two are better for calling, of the factors that will determine your success phase of the moon has got to be at the vary bottom just below whether you are wearing sitka or kuiu. I just went back through a moon phase calendar and of the 9 successful elk hunts I've been a part of 4 were no moon 5 were day before/after/during full moon.

Great info! Thanks!

The last couple years I started hiking in during the dark throwing out some bugles and keeping my ears open as I hike. This keeps me, at least in my mind, from hiking past bulls and gives me a place to head to first thing in the morning. Per this strategy, bulls getting frisky during a full moon is actually more helpful than not.

The last couple years I started hiking in during the dark throwing out some bugles and keeping my ears open as I hike. This keeps me, at least in my mind, from hiking past bulls and gives me a place to head to first thing in the morning. Per this strategy, bulls getting frisky during a full moon is actually more helpful than not.

That's a good plan! I'm going back to a unit that I hunted last season, hoping to go back to that same unit until I get drawn and/or shoot an elk there. I thought about moving units but why should I when I already have feet on the ground experience there and I know that there are elk there.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back