Red wolf hybrids confirmed on Texas Gulf Coast

I frequently hunt on a WMA just a few short miles from where these dogs were found. We have some very large, wolfy looking coyotes in the area too. I'm hoping to get a skin on the wall before they ban coyote hunting around here. Not really concerned about if they are a hybrid or not.

So? Red wolves are a hybrid and not protected under the wolf ESA.

The dogs on the island are most definitely hybrids. As far as Red wolves being hybrids, maybe, maybe not.

Date:
June 7, 2017
Source:
University of Idaho
Summary:
A research team is calling into question a 2016 study that concluded eastern and red wolves are not distinct species, but rather recent hybrids of gray wolves and coyotes. In a new comment paper, the team argues the study's genomic data and analyses do not definitively prove recent hybridization -- but rather provide support for the genetic and evolutionary distinctiveness of red and eastern wolves.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170607222442.htm

So? Red wolves are a hybrid and not protected under the wolf ESA.

These folks missed the memo and have been making life ruff (haha) down here. Even after a failed attempt at re-introduction in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and an bigger crap show on the Alligator River WR in eastern NC, these folks continue to cite ESA violations. Blue Ridge Outdoors, a magazine in this area also beats the drum of red wolves not being a hybrid and are subject to protections no matter how many times they are proved otherwise.... Some folks gotta have a "cause" to increase that donation and to justify them existing

https://www.southernenvironment.org/cases-and-projects/nc-coyote-rule-risks-endangered-red-wolves

I frequently hunt on a WMA just a few short miles from where these dogs were found. We have some very large, wolfy looking coyotes in the area too. I'm hoping to get a skin on the wall before they ban coyote hunting around here. Not really concerned about if they are a hybrid or not.

We are all in trouble when they ban coyote hunting in Texas!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back