Public land squirrel

The cool thing about being the old man is my sons did most of the skinning! I figure that I've skinned enough of their critters over the years. Time for a return on the investment.

Brunswick stew, or just flower and fry?

Way to go

My favorites are fricassee or gumbo. Brunswick stew is good too. Most of the time, they are too tough to just flour and fry without parboiling for awhile first. Those fox squirrels would come out tougher than everlasting shoe soles.

Wonderful! It secretly breaks my heart when I teach a hunters ed class and kids have never been squirrel hunting. I hope to have Buffalo Squirrel Legs on the menu for the Super Bowl!

Gellar,how to on Buff legs?I allways boil then bake.Any input on how to?

That's a great day of squirrel hunting! All still hunting, or with squirrel dogs? It's been me and my son's favorite thing to do together this year.

That's a great day of squirrel hunting! All still hunting, or with squirrel dogs? It's been me and my son's favorite thing to do together this year.

Still hunting. We use a squirrel call to get the squirrels to bark and give up their position, then put the sneak on em. A lot of fun and some good eatin!

I have a good squirrel dog, but he stayed home that day to keep my wife company.

Last edited:
My favorite is a Hunters Specialties. It is a bulb type with a squealer on the side.

How I normally use it is I'll sneak into an area with a lot of squirrel sign and then let the woods settle down for a few. I then grab the end of the bulb and shake the call vigorously to make the chatter of a panicked squirrel and slap the side of my pants with a branch to make the sound of a hawk's wings flapping. Then I use my mouth to use the squealer on the side and make a sound like a young squirrel that just got grabbed. The woods will usually come alive with pissed off squirrels barking at what the believe is a hawk. When you hear one through the woods, put the sneak on him taking your time and slipping through the woods as quiet as you can.

If he sees you and hides, just sit down for a bit and let him calm down. After about 10 minutes, take 2 quarters and make a gnawing sound by rubbing the edges of the quarters together. It also helps to drop some small debris into the leaves like but shells dropping. The squirrel thinks another squirrel is eating and it's safe to come out.

That's my technique and it seems to work pretty well.

That does sound like a fun hunt. Would have to learn how to cook them.

I live with a mile square pecan grove to the north of me and a mile square pecan grove to the west of me.

I just try not to hit the squirrels crossing the highway. The Geico commercial is very accurate; you do not know which way the rodents will run.

That does sound like a fun hunt. Would have to learn how to cook them.

You can use squirrel for any recipe that you use chicken. It doesn't really taste like chicken, I think it's better. A little darker with more flavor, but no gameyness at all. The bigger ones tend to be tougher, but you can fix that by just parboiling for awhile before you use them in your recipe.

There are several videos on YouTube on how to quickly skin them.

Good advice Greyman. I'm definitely going to be try out the quarters idea when there is one lost frozen in a tree or in a hole.

bobbydean here is a recipe I did for squirrel gravy
https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...t-s-Whats-for-Supper&highlight=squirrel+gravy

I'll be cooking another squirrel gravy next weekend with a different recipe and will share as well. There will be a piece or two of coon in there as well so don't be too picky.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back