Success Rates vs. Advice on Hunttalk

Does anyone know if choice matters in the random draw? Let's say I don't get my first choice unit and I'm kicked into the random draw for that unit. Will I be prioritized over people that picked the unit as their second or third choice? I'm spread sheeting drawing odds so I'm trying to determine how the odds break out.

Yes choice matters in the random draw. If you put area "A" as your first choice, you will draw it before anyone else draws it on second or third choice. There are just shy of a bazillion threads on here explaining the Wyoming draw.

Lots of hunters acesss private land via trespass fees and outfitters. Generally speaking when wy or hunters are list acesss issues into limited public land it’s because it true. Low point units are low for a reason most of time.

Exactly, I've never hunted a WY pronghorn unit that required even 1 pt to draw, never had an issue finding pronghorn. Killing a great buck, can be very difficult in those units but if you are up there for 3+ days and walk at least 8 miles a day you will all tag out or at least have shot opportunities.

Go to the county to get maps of which roads are public... good luck!
https://www.ccgov.net/DocumentCenter/View/2017/County-Road-Map
http://www.johnsoncountywyoming.org/jcco/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/johnson_county.pdf

^This. There are tons of opportunities on public land in 0 point units. Get Onx, don't go the first week of season, plan to work/hike/drive a little.

Ok thanks everyone who answered me on the random draw question and thanks to everyone else for your feedback it's been helpful.

I did 7 this year with a second choice of 16. I'd do it again if I only had 1 PP and had to go that year with a buck tag. But, we will be building a handful of points to get out of the Eastern units from here on out and just go with doe tags for the next couple years.

Ok first time using the thread on Hunt Talk so I was trying to respond to each of you and it just shows as a string of messages lol. Hopefully you guys can figure out who I was talking to.

When you want to reply to a particular post just go to the bottom of that guy's post and click on "Reply With Quote". Their post will come up and all you need to do is click right below it and type your message just like you can see I've done to help you out!

When you want to reply to a particular post just go to the bottom of that guy's post and click on "Reply With Quote". Their post will come up and all you need to do is click right below it and type your message just like you can see I've done to help you out!

Thanks for the tip!

Four of us from Iowa hunted a 100% draw unit last year sight unseen. Every single one of us harvested a respectable buck for the unit and could have easily taken four does each as well. If you do your homework, use electronics line OnXmaps and actually get out and put some boots on the ground I see no reason you shouldn't harvest a pronghorn anywhere in Wyoming. Maybe we were lucky as some groups didn't have any luck but I think they were just lazy.

We did 16 five years ago, then 16/22 two years ago.

For whatever reason the first time in 16 we each got a doe in half a day, thought it was easy. 2 years ago we only got 1 doe in 5 days of hunting 16 and 22. We SAW about 2000 of them while we were there, but only 8 (not kidding) were on public land, and half of those were bucks when we only had doe tags.
Walked a few miles in to a public area on the east side of 16, and even there the antelope were all on a small piece of private land. We swore that they had OnX and knew exactly where to go.

Last year we found a friend-of-a-friend who let us on his ranch in a different eastern unit. That worked.

I’ve been in that area— the terrain is much better mulie habitat but you’ll see pronghorn without a doubt in the flats between all the dugouts. Most will absolutely be on private. Going with 4 buddies is your limiting factor here cuz it’ll be hard to fill one tag, let alone 4.

I’ve hunted 23 and killed dcent bucks on BLM. Access is difficult. Filling 4 tags on the limited amount of accessible public land that actually hold antelope will be tough, but not impossible.

I live in this area of Wyoming and thought I would throw in my two cents. Many have commented that it is a do-able hunt if you put enough time and miles in. I don't disagree with this necessarily but would just comment that after the first weekend of hunting the animals that were on public land tend to migrate to the private pretty rapidly. This is especially true with antelope, as the flatter valleys where the speed goats tend to hang out in these areas are generally private. The limited amount of state and BLM in these areas get used heavily and can make the hunting difficult without private access.

If you have several weeks to put in and don't mind the possibility of eating tag soup by all means go for it. Personally, if I were out of state travelling that far to hunt I would hold out a year or two for a better unit. Either way, good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back