Wyoming archery pronghorn with 5 points

shootist

My brother and I are considering a DIY archery hunt in Wyoming attempting to harvest our first pronghorns. We each have 5 points but we will only have 4 days to hunt. I’ve posted a similar post on another site or 2. We are planning to hunt over Labor Day weekend and the days around it. Does anyone have any suggestions for units that they care to share? Our goal is to kill nice representative animals, Pope and Young size would be nice, but not imperative. With only 4 days to hunt, we plan on setting up a blind, but hopefully we can mostly stalk.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Are you putting in for the regular or special draw? Answering that question might help you get some better responses. Based on my one time experience after WY antelope, I would save those points and pull a second choice unit on a special tag. I was scouting my unit two days before the rifle opener and the antelope (including respectable bucks) were around in good numbers and were quite relaxed. Probably dumb luck, but I had a reasonable bow shot on a decent buck that I just stumbled on. Of course the demeanor of all the lopes changed completely over the next couple of days as the orange army showed up and the bullets started flying.

That said, I would think you’d have just about any unit to yourself during the time frame you are looking at. The years you have invested in those points are valuable. Get a 2nd choice tag, learn, have fun and then you’ll be able to make a more experienced decision on how best to burn those points for you.

Are you putting in for the regular or special draw? Answering that question might help you get some better responses. Based on my one time experience after WY antelope, I would save those points and pull a second choice unit on a special tag. I was scouting my unit two days before the rifle opener and the antelope (including respectable bucks) were around in good numbers and were quite relaxed. Probably dumb luck, but I had a reasonable bow shot on a decent buck that I just stumbled on. Of course the demeanor of all the lopes changed completely over the next couple of days as the orange army showed up and the bullets started flying.

That said, I would think you’d have just about any unit to yourself during the time frame you are looking at. The years you have invested in those points are valuable. Get a 2nd choice tag, learn, have fun and then you’ll be able to make a more experienced decision on how best to burn those points for you.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll consider it. We were not planning on putting in for the the special draw.

I would sure try and avoid burning points on a first pronghorn hunt, unless you know it’s going to be your only one.

Some great areas with 5 PP and you should get a nice buck from them. Learning to judge a mature buck would be the advice I would give.
4 days is plenty to find and secure a buck, with your rifle as backup.
Waterhole hunting and fence crossings are the best bet for an archery hunt.
An area with some terrain would help in the spot and stalk hunting.
Hard to know how drought may affect waterholes, this past fall it dried up in some areas and waterholes were few and far between. A wet year makes sitting them a crap shoot almost.

With 5 points you would have a chance at area 72 in the regular draw. You would be guaranteed to draw area 97. Both are solid units and finding Pope and Young bucks will be easy. I have hunted both so Id be happy to answer any questions you have.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back