PEAX Equipment

CO Unit 65 Archery Season

LLAMA

Planning 1st ever elk hunt in CO next year. I've done several hours of e-scouting on a few units, and really like the look of 65. I'm interested in hearing from others who have hunted the unit or nearby.

I currently have 5-6 areas marked, including; Middle Fork of Cimarron, southwest of Pinnacle Ridge; West of Fish Creek Reservoir near Cimarron Ridge; South of Sheep Mtn.; and a few others. These were chosen based on being distant from roads, on CPW's elk migration paths, in between summer & winter concentration areas, elevation, etc. What I would like to know is how much hunting pressure I can expect in those areas, and if I'm totally off in my thinking and should be focussing closer to Mt. Sneffels instead...

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for your time!

I live in montrose and hunt 65 pretty regular. I would definitely suggest scout the area this summer if you can. It can be pretty rugged in the south west of the unit. I archery hunted it last year and I did see elk every day the bulls didn’t want anything to do with calling.

Welcome to HT

Thanks, JohnC. Glad to be here.

I live in montrose and hunt 65 pretty regular. I would definitely suggest scout the area this summer if you can. It can be pretty rugged in the south west of the unit. I archery hunted it last year and I did see elk every day the bulls didn’t want anything to do with calling.

Good to know. I read to use calls sparingly. Have you hunted the eastern part of the unit near Cimarron? How does it compare in terms of difficulty/numbers?

Google earth can be pretty deceiving at times. There are a lot of steep dark timber hill sides so glassing is pretty difficult. To get away from hunting pressure you will have to plan on hiking quite a bit. During archery season last year I was averaging 10-12 miles a day to get away from other hunters. I hunted the west side from owl creek to Ouray so I could stay in the aspens and oaks. If you plan on hunting in the oaks you might want to pick up a bear tag if you can. You’ll more then likely run into one.

Google earth can be pretty deceiving at times. There are a lot of steep dark timber hill sides so glassing is pretty difficult. To get away from hunting pressure you will have to plan on hiking quite a bit. During archery season last year I was averaging 10-12 miles a day to get away from other hunters. I hunted the west side from owl creek to Ouray so I could stay in the aspens and oaks. If you plan on hunting in the oaks you might want to pick up a bear tag if you can. You’ll more then likely run into one.

The group I hunt with is looking at hunting 65 this year. We were just talking about bears and if we should get a tag for them. Did you see them often up there? Were they stalkable?

Never saw a bear last year but we stayed around 10,000 feet. Did find some fresh scat that was full of akorns. So I know the bears were spending time down lower in the scrub.

Get ready to see a lot of people in there. As in every unit in CO there are elk in there but are the least vocal elk I've ever seen.

Get ready to see a lot of people in there. As in every unit in CO there are elk in there but are the least vocal elk I've ever seen.

I've come to realize that about all the OTC units. Seems like most the people we've run into though are pretty approachable and open to working together vs hunting on top of each other. I assume you've hunted in there, any tactics that worked best for you that you'd be willing to share? Calling is definitely the weak point in my elk game.

Hey guys. Many compliments. This has been the best thread ever for good suggestions for the new guy.
I have never hunted Colorada, but very impressed with effort to share your knowledge.

Refreshing!!

I've come to realize that about all the OTC units. Seems like most the people we've run into though are pretty approachable and open to working together vs hunting on top of each other. I assume you've hunted in there, any tactics that worked best for you that you'd be willing to share? Calling is definitely the weak point in my elk game.

I hunted it on a leftover mule deer tag and killed one of the two decent bucks I saw in a week worth of hunting. I didn't see a live bull all week so I'm not sure I'm the one to help. All I know is when they are quiet I tend to cover a lot of ground just looking for the freshest sign and then find water or food they are coming to.

I hunted it on a leftover mule deer tag and killed one of the two decent bucks I saw in a week worth of hunting. I didn't see a live bull all week so I'm not sure I'm the one to help. All I know is when they are quiet I tend to cover a lot of ground just looking for the freshest sign and then find water or food they are coming to.

That's my usual tactic as well. Hasn't paid off yet but hoping it will this year.

X2 this has been on of the best threads I've seen in a while. I've been lurking online and e-scouting Unit 65 for a couple years, finally got my nephew's into archery and we're planning for the 2020 season already.

Any updates from this last season? Sheep Mountain looked pretty good on the map but summer scouting will tell, anybody with experiences there? I pretty much had the same spots as the OP picked out on the map (and probably everyone else). Is it worth it to get up near/above the treelines at all or stay lower in the valleys? Seems like there is an abundance of water, so keying in on water sources may not be worthwhile?

Any updates from this last season? Sheep Mountain looked pretty good on the map but summer scouting will tell, anybody with experiences there? I pretty much had the same spots as the OP picked out on the map (and probably everyone else). Is it worth it to get up near/above the treelines at all or stay lower in the valleys? Seems like there is an abundance of water, so keying in on water sources may not be worthwhile?
I don’t think the OP or anyone else will probably truthfully tell if they are getting into elk regularly around Sheep mountain as this will just be like a beacon for anyone searching the forum for info. You are more likely to get responses saying how crowded it is. As far as searching up above tree line or in the low valleys, I think you will have to approach that as your hunt draws nearer. Previous winter, current weather/drought conditions, hunting pressure, cow/calf locations are going to help you determine what elevations you might need to search at. I personally have seen differences year to year in the elevation the elk are at in the same unit and area. I think your on the right track though by already having a unit picked out as well as some landmarks to key in on. Just pick several more for a back up plan and get out there and have a good time. Hopefully some others on here can provide more specific details on what your searching for.

Hello, I have been looking into 65 for achery elk hunting and noticed that it seems to get alot of attention. Not looking to take anyone's hunting spot, But if anyone can point me in the right direction towards a better unit maybe that doesnt get as much pressure from hikers and hunters. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Welcome to the forum. Prepare yourself for the replies about the new guy "not looking to take anyone's hunting spot, but..." Pretty touchy subject for first posts.

Pick one of the new limited units in SW CO. They will all be better than 65. 65 gets hammered like no other unit in Colorado except maybe unit 4 or the ones in the flat tops. Everytime I go there I swear I will never go back, but I do just because Ouray is a cool little town and Montrose has all the resources you need to take breaks during your hunt. You will go all season without hearing a real bull, but you will hear all kinds of hunters bugling (no exaggeration).

Back