Durfee Hills

Brian in Montana

A friend and I have talked about splitting the cost of helicoptering in to the Durfee Hills for a late season elk hunt. Oddly neither of us can find any info on the internet as to someone that does this and for what price. Don't know when we'd actually do this. Probably not 2019, maybe next year.

Anybody know anything about this?

Randy has done it at least two times. You may want to pm him. Search YouTube randynewberg hunting central Montana. I'd be putting in for 411 this year and make contact with the helicopter company, so if you draw you're in with the helicopter. I drew that tag in 2014 on my first attempt. I didn't hunt the durfee's and was not successful.

Last edited:
Need aviation help out of Lewistown, it's probably a twenty min flight if that.

Randy has done it at least two times. You may want to pm him. Search YouTube randynewberg hunting central Montana. I'd be putting in for 411 this year and make contact with the helicopter company, so if you draw you're in with the helicopter. I drew that tag in 2014 on my first attempt. I didn't hunt the durfee's and was not successful.

That's where we got the idea. We both live in Montana and generally take a week or 2 off a year just to hunt so why not?

I drew that 411 tag this year as a second choice. I didn't hunt the Durfees, I don't have the money. I hunted some of the wilderness area and a bunch of state sections. There is some nice are but I didn't see any elk.

A bunch of the wilderness area is really thick, nasty timber. I made an 8 mile loop to get to a couple of glassing spots and it was rough. I was beat by the time I got back to the truck. Didn't even cut a track.

I drew that 411 tag this year as a second choice. I didn't hunt the Durfees, I don't have the money. I hunted some of the wilderness area and a bunch of state sections. There is some nice are but I didn't see any elk.

A bunch of the wilderness area is really thick, nasty timber. I made an 8 mile loop to get to a couple of glassing spots and it was rough. I was beat by the time I got back to the truck. Didn't even cut a track.

You drew the bull tag as a second choice ?

Did you only do one trip?

I wouldnt bother with the Durfee Hills. That cat has long since left the bag.

It can be super hit or miss in there. From what I hear lately mostly miss. It isn’t that big of an area and would be super frustrating if there was more than 1-2 other groups in there. Much of the terrain is thick ponderosa stands with zero feed due to all the pine needles. Looks like the moon kinda. Anyway good luck if you go. Water is another issue in there. You’d have to trespass to get it unless you haul enough in for your stay.

It can be super hit or miss in there. From what I hear lately mostly miss. It isn’t that big of an area and would be super frustrating if there was more than 1-2 other groups in there. Much of the terrain is thick ponderosa stands with zero feed due to all the pine needles. Looks like the moon kinda. Anyway good luck if you go. Water is another issue in there. You’d have to trespass to get it unless you haul enough in for your stay.

This sums it up. I spent a week in there during archery season a few years ago and it was the most frustrating elk hunt I've ever been on. If you would enjoy paying for an elk viewing trip this is the adventure you seek. You can find a high point and watch seven hundred head of elk on private all day. There's enough elk around that you never know what could show up from one day to the next, but just be prepared for disappointment.

No luck on the tag for me this year however my buddy drew it. we plan on taking a chopper in the last 2 weeks. my question for you guys that have done it do you ever see any deer in there?

I talked to a helicopter company in Bozeman last week. They said they no longer do this because the laws have been changed. I looked in the 2019 regulations and found nothing beyond no hunting on the same day you fly, so I am not sure what's up with it.

I talked to a helicopter company in Bozeman last week. They said they no longer do this because the laws have been changed. I looked in the 2019 regulations and found nothing beyond no hunting on the same day you fly, so I am not sure what's up with it.
Likely the BLM managing office can update you on any changes regarding aviation rules for landing in the Durfee Hills. The helicopter firm should have been able to explain.

Back