Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

proposed new gun control laws in Minnesota pretty scary

Oregon has a bull to limit ammo sales to 20 rounds per month.

I’d prefer to repeal gun laws including background checks and the NFA instead of adding a single new one.
Considering the purpose of the second amendment, it’s a little counterintuitive to have to ask the government for permission to buy a gun.

As a guy with two little kids, I’m a firm believer in keeping firearms locked in a safe when at home. The rest of that bill is insane. I’ve already left my rep a message about it.

Raising 3 sons a brick of 22 shells never lasted very long. An 'Oregon brick' would be so much fun (sarcasm font needed) - "you each get 6 shots, leave 2 for the old man." Sounds like a fun Saturday doesn't it? The additional proposal that no gun be capable of holding more than 5 rounds would at least extend the fun (where's that sarcasm font?). A Ruger 5/22 just doesn't have the same ring to it as the venerable 10/22. No worries, it won't pass ......... this time.

Illegal to buy out of state and bring back.
How is this enforced/is it? Let's say you go to NV for a mule deer hunt, buy a box of .30/06 at Walmart, hunt, cross back into CA with a half full box of ammo, how can they prove where you purchased it?

The added burden on lawful gun buyers (and potential cataloguing of gun owners for later confiscation schemes) of a background check has to be weighed against the potential reduction in gun crimes. If you are trying to stop the mass shootings, background checks will not help - every mass shooter that I am aware of would have (or did) pass any background check that is out there or is being proposed.

If you are trying to stop gang violence, do you think those guys are going to stop getting guns because "background checks are required." Murder is a crime. Making guns "harder to get" is a straw man argument - those that are going to break the law aren't going to stop breaking laws because there is another one on the books.

Making guns "harder to get" is a straw man argument - those that are going to break the law aren't going to stop breaking laws because there is another one on the books.

10 years ago I would probably have argued with you on this one, but in 2012 I purchased my first gun at gander mountain and holy mother... there were at least 15-20 people in the store, mostly women, on their phones describing various hand guns to someone on the other side who was obviously the real purchaser. I asked the guy at the register about it as he was putting in my info for a background check, and he gave me the standard "dude, I just work here" and shrugged.

Illegal to buy out of state and bring back.

As of this morning, no agency within CA has stepped up and take responsibility for enforcing the illegal import law. After July, I imagine they'll check their database as all ammo purchases will be recorded. The DOJ here isn't really sure....exactly, how the background check is going to work and how the gunshops are going to do it...i.e, computer or phone. But by god, it'll be the law in 5 months. And they'll charge you $1.00 for each background check.

It's one of the joy's of living in a state where there's a single party government. One party has a supermajority in the House and the Senate and EVERY single state elected office holder is a member of that same party. It's as close to dictatorship as you can be....

I haven't felt represented here in 20 years.

Last edited:
10 years ago I would probably have argued with you on this one, but in 2012 I purchased my first gun at gander mountain and holy mother... there were at least 15-20 people in the store, mostly women, on their phones describing various hand guns to someone on the other side who was obviously the real purchaser. I asked the guy at the register about it as he was putting in my info for a background check, and he gave me the standard "dude, I just work here" and shrugged.

Straw purchases are illegal. How are universal background checks going to stop that? You say you are arguing with me, but then highlight exactly what I just said...

I imagine it’s blissful being an apathetic old hag in his twilight years. Atleast the future isn’t of concern.

Gr8peBanana is waiting for his wife to make a store run for more Mad Dog 20/20, and in the process sobered up long enough to post some cartoons on HT.

He's doing his best.

Gr8peBanana is waiting for his wife to make a store run for more Mad Dog 20/20, and in the process sobered up long enough to post some cartoons on HT.

He's doing his best.

Looks like Belly has money on the thread lock at 40 and is turning up the heat to help it along.

He's doing his best.

31F6CF12-9272-4242-B567-F617D49071E1.jpeg

I just realized this is a grapebanana... 🍆 I’ve been given the wife all the wrong things.
the digital age contributing to the #poundmetoo movement.

Last edited:
Looks like Belly has money on the thread lock at 40 and is turning up the heat to help it along.

Hey, getting threads locked is a favorite January pastime of many hunttalkers, no?

I thought it went like this: shed hunting season, scouting season, archery season, rifle season, locked thread season. Repeat.

Understanding the complexities of the issue(s) and the many valid arguments for and against such proposals, yet facts and numbers warrant some sort of movement from the status quo.
40,000 gun-related deaths in the US in 2017 and more than 30,000 each year since 2012 (Center for Disease Control data) and 96 school shootings in 2018 alone (Time Magazine) would seem to support efforts to mitigate the trends. Or do those numbers define the slippery slope we are willing to slide down with ever increasing momentum? Another rhetorical question: How do we balance the Declaration of Independence Right to "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" with the "rights" of the Second Amendment when the numbers reflect such a national threat?

Understanding the complexities of the issue(s) and the many valid arguments for and against such proposals, yet facts and numbers warrant some sort of movement from the status quo.
40,000 gun-related deaths in the US in 2017 and more than 30,000 each year since 2012 (Center for Disease Control data) and 96 school shootings in 2018 alone (Time Magazine) would seem to support efforts to mitigate the trends. Or do those numbers define the slippery slope we are willing to slide down with ever increasing momentum? Another rhetorical question: How do we balance the Declaration of Independence Right to "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" with the "rights" of the Second Amendment when the numbers reflect such a national threat?

This is a great point. If you are to mitigate, I would think you would want to intact laws that have the biggest impact.

Of the 33,000 annual deaths 22,058 are suicides, 11,726 are homicides, 546 are accidents.

Of the homicides the vast majority are from handguns.

The discourse on suicides is pathetic at best, neither side provides solutions and it just gets brushed aside as a "mental health crisis". If you were able to figure out how to help those people who are clearly in distress and reduce suicides by 50%, that alone would save as many lives as eliminating gun homicides... but hey way easier to just limit people to 20 rounds a month and 5 round mags, I'm sure that will solve the issue...

Back