PEAX Equipment

proposed new gun control laws in Minnesota pretty scary

I'd be scared too if I had a criminal background or was a bit more mentally unstable than I am. Those two firearms related proposals don't seem that "radically liberal" or scary to me as a law abiding gun owner and user.

Now that football is almost over and March Madness months away, what’s the Vegas “over/under” on how many replies to this post before it is locked? I heard the early line was 38.

Now that football is almost over and March Madness months away, what’s the Vegas “over/under” on how many replies to this post before it is locked? I heard the early line was 38.

I have my money at 28...

Jokes aside I think there is a nuanced conversations to be had regarding due process and red flag laws. I have not read the language of the proposed bills, but I'm going to assume that's what the OP was driving at with this post.

I'd be scared too if I had a criminal background or was a bit more mentally unstable than I am. Those two firearms related proposals don't seem that "radically liberal" or scary to me as a law abiding gun owner and user.
While I think it is wrong that a terrorist can go buy any of the 35-40 assault-style weapons advertised on Armslist as for sale in the Bozeman area without a background check, I don't like the sound of those red-flag laws.

On the surface, I understand the draw of the red flag laws, but cringe when I think of actual implementation. I am sure agressive divorce lawyers (and others) will use them as improper leverage against sportsman. I would guess judges will hate the process too. They are damned if they do, damned if they don’t - with limited line of sight to the facts and all the accountability to get it right. Restraining orders and civil commitments are convoluted and fraught with the risk of over and under application. Not sure adding this to the mix will help.

Universal background checks are fine with me - either everybody gets checked or nobody does from my perspective. Not sure how I can’t sell a gun to a buddy in ND I have known and trusted for 40 years but can sell to a total stranger from across town. Either background checks work and are appropriate or they don’t and they aren’t, not sure state of residence between buyer and seller adds anything to the discussion.

I'm actually a big fan of universal background checks. I just wish there was some way to do it smoothly. I dream of website where two guys can punch in their DL numbers (after verifying ID of each other), last four of SSN, names, and address information and it would return either an all clear to buy/sell or a forbidden to buy/sell. No personal details have to be shown, just a clear yes or no.

It sure would make me a little more comfortable selling firearms, and watching firearms be bought/sold at gun shows.

I'm actually a big fan of universal background checks. I just wish there was some way to do it smoothly. I dream of website where two guys can punch in their DL numbers (after verifying ID of each other), last four of SSN, names, and address information and it would return either an all clear to buy/sell or a forbidden to buy/sell. No personal details have to be shown, just a clear yes or no.

It sure would make me a little more comfortable selling firearms, and watching firearms be bought/sold at gun shows.

This is similar to how things work in Canada. You have your firearms license, which requires background checks and a short course to obtain, which covers safe handling etc. If Joe Blow from the internet wants to buy a gun I have advertise, I get his license number and call the 1-800 number. If the address on file matches their name and mailing address and the license is valid, I'm free to mail the gun to the new owner through the post. No FFL or wait times required. If its a face to face deal, just showing the license (which has a photo of the licensee) is enough.

Our situation is different as we don't have a constitutional right involved, but in practice our license system is practical and straightforward. I can't really complain about it at all. Now if the USA would just make it easier to export guns to Canada, I'd be very happy, but seeing as we're a National Security threat, I'm not holding my breath.

This is similar to how things work in Canada. You have your firearms license, which requires background checks and a short course to obtain, which covers safe handling etc. If Joe Blow from the internet wants to buy a gun I have advertise, I get his license number and call the 1-800 number. If the address on file matches their name and mailing address and the license is valid, I'm free to mail the gun to the new owner through the post. No FFL or wait times required. If its a face to face deal, just showing the license (which has a photo of the licensee) is enough.

Our situation is different as we don't have a constitutional right involved, but in practice our license system is practical and straightforward. I can't really complain about it at all. Now if the USA would just make it easier to export guns to Canada, I'd be very happy, but seeing as we're a National Security threat, I'm not holding my breath.

Many guys I know, and myself included, will typically only sell to someone in person and who has an active CCW permit. It seems to be the best workaround for now, but obviously limits the market significantly.

...two addressed gun control: establishing universal background checks for all gun purchases — in effect closing the loophole around private sales — and implementing so-called “red flag” warnings allowing people to seek court-ordered extreme risk protection orders to remove guns from potentially dangerous people.

Governor Walz said:
“I think there’s going to be an opportunity for all of us to work that,” he continued. “I know this is an incredibly charged issue. But to move a couple of pieces of legislation that have data supporting that they make our communities, our schools, our workplaces safer and having no impact on the ability of lawful gun owners to purchase firearms seems like the right thing to do.”

Interesting... "Potentially dangerous people" = Vague. "Potentially dangerous people" = Vocal anti government? Militia minded folk?
No bother... Our Second Amendment is for the protection of our hunting heritage.

Without the Second, the first is a pile of words. As Theodore Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Edit: Who holds the closed thread pool? $ on post #88 if it gets that far...

Last edited:
I wish that instead of putting all this money towards new gun laws, liberals would just build a website that is free (or cheap) for a person looking to make a private sale to do a background check with a willing buyer. You're never going to be able to track guns, but you could help out law abiding people make sure that they're selling to someone decent.

I typically don't sell guns to people I don't know anyway... but I would imagine that many people do.

Not sure this is possible, there are so many issues with criminal record reporting.

Take it from me, you have no idea what gun control laws are in the US!:)
Try living where I do!
Cheers
Richard

I was talking to a guy in Belgium. It took him 3 years to get a license to buy. He has to keep his weapon disassembled with the bolt in one safe and the rifle in a second safe in separate rooms and twice a year a gov. official visits to check on it unannounced and quiz him on gun rules, etc. I hope we keep conservatives on SCOTUS so a personal right to bear arms survives (there wasn't one until Heller in 2008 despite much conventional wisdom).

This is how it all begins....then you end up where those of us in California are, background checks for guns, 10 day waiting period (even if you're already an owner), lead-free for hunting and now in July, background checks to buy ammo. No internet ammo purchase anymore and illegal to buy out of state and bring back. Give an inch and it's all downhill from there.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back