Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

New Pup (Pics)

Art Vandeley

Figured I would show off my new puppy. He's an 8 week old springer spaniel. I've had him for about a week now. He is a lot of fun... I'm excited to get working with him in the future. His name is Watt.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or advise, I will be all ears. I have never owned my own hunting dog, and haven't ever trained one. I have ordered a couple of books to get me started.

56851152452--1654F67A-0884-4BB6-857A-3F6A62F628EE.jpg

IMG-2109.jpg

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-2169.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Watt. I like that name. I'm not sure why, but it's a good one.

No advice from me. My folks has a springer and she was way too smart for me.

My biggest piece of advice is hunting with a gundog is as much about a bond as it is a dog and it's master. I found that you must learn as much from the dog as it does from you. Every dog just like every person has it's idiosyncrasies. Get to know and understand them and you're off to a good start.

Your dog will most likely pick up things easily and do what you want without much trouble. At about 10-12 montha most though will hit their teenage years and seemogly everything you taught them will go out the window. Just persist and know they'll grow out of it. In the end you'll end up with the greatest of mates who will love you their whole life. All the best!

DSC_0881.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

20181231_151448.jpg

Congratulations on a great looking dog. What type of hunting are you hoping to do with the little fella? Ducks? Pheasant?

I tell all my new owners if you e never trained a dog before, spwnd the money and get a trainer for a handful of lessons. It will save both of you bad habits and lost time.

And take plenty of pics. It goes by too fast.

I read that if you want them for shed hunting you need to spend the first 6 months on that then go to birds. My lab didn’t pick it up but I think that was from a lack of effort from me. Did that gsp take down that stag? Just kidding great looking dogs.

Look for a trainer in your area to help you get started and maybe some pointers for the future.

Watt is growing week by week.

IMG-2206.jpg

We took advantage of the nice weather on Saturday and went for a short walk, keeping an eye out for whitetail sheds with no luck. He did good..

IMG-2220.jpg

Also noticed this water mark on this large cottonwood, likely from the high water in the spring of 2018.

IMG-2222.jpg

He turns 12 weeks old on February 8th. The house/potty training is going well. He now makes enough noise to wake me up at night when he needs out which is nice. I am following Richard Wolters "Gun Dog" training book, so I will begin formal training on the 8th.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back