Caribou Gear Tarp

The Grand Canyon hiking R2R

MTGomer

I visited the Grand Canyon this weekend for the first time.
It is pretty breathtaking when you first lay eyes on it. Especially as a snowstorm is just clearing up

We weren’t there very long. Just a few hours to see the sites and what not. I would love to return for a few days

Has anybody hiked rim to rim or along the Tonto trail? I definitely have a strong urge to see more of it. Would love to hear/see your experiences.

5E97532A-E787-422B-AC5B-67705A317E07.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't done rim to rim but did an overnight trip down to the river and back on the south rim two Aprils ago. Not sure how much you've looked into it but you have to apply for a permit for the designated time you want to hike. I'm assuming that's the case for the rim to rim hike too. I'm not sure how difficult it is to obtain a permit for the more popular trails, we wanted to make sure we got one so we applied for a less popular trail (Tanner) and were successful the first try. It was a cool hike and it was nice not seeing many people.

I live in Flagstaff and have done the R2R and lots of hiking in the canyon. No permit is necessary if you don't stay in the canyon overnight. Makes for a long, hard day but doable. Did R2R 2 years ago in 7 hours....24 miles of breathtakingly scenic hell! Suggest a spring or fall trip and avoid the heat of summer. The highway to the north rim is closed in the winter and usually opens mid-May depending on snow.

The thunder river trail can usually be accessed from Jacob Lake when the main highway is closed. The J-Lake lodge has copies of the directions. GJ

One of the coolest places on earth...we did the South Rim Bright Angel to Indian Gardens during July..then back up. Amazing.

Last edited:
This summer I took my daughter on the bike for a week to see some of the sights in the west we had never experienced. The Grand Canyon was the big destination for the trip. We went to the North Rim and stayed for a day. She isn't very athletic so we didn't do any major hikes, but we found a spot underneath the lodge where we had a great overlook in the shade. There simply are no words, the entire time I was just stunned at the epic and rugged landscape. I think Ron Swanson said it best:e92014404d7c01a0f38c540da28ca865a470f15de7ad2d0461fe4ab51324cf6d.jpg

Did the R2R a couple of years ago. Amazing trip. As was previously mentioned if you are going to overnight in the Canyon - and I highly recommend it - you have to apply for a lottery permit or take your chances on a few of the daily available permits. We applied but didn't get didn't get drawn. Had a back up plan of going with a tour group which ended being me, my two buddies and a single woman celebrating her 60th birthday with the trek. They supplied all the gear and food, transportation from Phoenix/Flagstaff, and arranged for the camp grounds, but we pretty much walked at our own pace and took several side excursions during the 3.5 day trip. oh, we did it in the middle of May and there was still some snow on the north rim, but it was almost 100 F at the bottom. Do it!

Spent a couple nights camping down near Phantom Ranch. Amazing experience. Had some great fishing in Bright Angel Creek before getting interrupted by my girlfriend when she realized she forgot our food in the vehicle...

Did the R2R2R with my daughter Labor Day Weekend in 2017 before her Senior year in HS. It was 113° in the bottom and the water pipe was JUST repaired the day before. Rangers told us just to get in the creek with our clothes on during the heat of the day. Lots of people were stroking out. The last climb up the North Rim was a tough one but I am sure glad we did it. Breathtaking.

Id go even later in September if I did it again.

100+ degree hiking is probably not my thing. I’ll be planning it during the cooler months for sure.

Hiked down to Phantom Ranch for my 40th birthday from the south rim, stayed the night, and hiked back the next day.
I enjoy hiking in the desert and in the morning twilight, so in a place like the Grand Canyon, it was pretty spectacular.
I would recommend it.

I went down and back on bright angel trail in one day when I was about 25 years old. I was in good shape and it was tough. Same day is a NO NO...LOL now at 62 I will never see the bottom again. It is a hike every one should do in their lifetime. Unseen Beauty when You hike it..........BOB!

Fall trip. We didn't want to get into the logistics of rim to rim.
Camped in National Forest one night (elk almost flattened our tent)
One day: Down the South Kaibab trail, back up the Bright Angel (has water available)
Great trip. Go when it's cool.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back