PEAX Equipment

Replace string or not??

Dieseldog

I have a bow that has been sitting in its case for about 3 years since I used it last. It had new strings on it that last year that I shot it. It has been my emergency bow and I feel like shooting it this winter. Strings look good and aren't frayed or wore at all. Am I good to go with a good wax? Or should I replace? Do they dry out and age just sitting in an enclosed case? Thanks

I'd say you're good to go. I also don't claim to be an expert.

I would give it a good waxing and a serious shooting. One thing you might have is a bit of string stretch from sitting. It's never a bad idea to change strings. I change my main bow strings every other year, no matter what. With the minimal cost of strings and a regular tune up, I wouldn't chance having a malfunction or something out of wack on my back up bow if I needed it.

I would give it a good waxing and a serious shooting. One thing you might have is a bit of string stretch from sitting. It's never a bad idea to change strings. I change my main bow strings every other year, no matter what. With the minimal cost of strings and a regular tune up, I wouldn't chance having a malfunction or something out of wack on my back up bow if I needed it.

Thats my policy.

They're probably ok, but stretched a bit, I'd replace them though. If you don't replace them and there's an issue, you'll know on the first shot :rolleyes:

I find time on bowstrings is just as hard as use. I usually have two or three bows in the rotation. Longest I might use a set is three years max. Most get changed at two. You will probably need to tune the bow anyway so straying with a fresh set and solid baseline is a good recipe for success and fewer problems down the road.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back