Apply Here.

Deadline: Jan 31, 2019

Class locations and schedules (tentative):
Missoula: Tuesdays, 6-10, March 13-May 1
Bozeman: Saturdays, 9-5p, April 6- May 4
Billings: Saturdays, 9-5p, May 4-June 8

Cost: $200

HT Thread with Review: Here.

Feel free to pm me questions or ask here on the thread.

No name change I guess.

“Master Hunter” is a big turn off to a whole lot of real good hunters.

Bummer that the Missoula classes are on Tuesday nights. If they ever offer a course in Kalispell, I will sign up for sure. I read your review 406 and it sounds pretty engaging.

Bummer that the Missoula classes are on Tuesday nights. If they ever offer a course in Kalispell, I will sign up for sure. I read your review 406 and it sounds pretty engaging.

Kalispell was on the list and we worked hard to get it there, but just couldn't make it happen for this year. I see it coming next year. FWIW, one of our first classmates drove from Whitefish to Bozeman every weekend; he would leave in the morning to be at the 9am start. Crazy.

I talked to George about it last year and due to schedule conflicts couldn't make it work. However, the schedule this year looks good...application submitted.

Does anyone know if last years participants were able to gain hunting access on places they otherwise wouldn't have been able to?

Does anyone know if last years participants were able to gain hunting access on places they otherwise wouldn't have been able to?

There were 13 properties opened up to MHAP graduates in Regions, 2,3, and 4. We don't have a tally of hunter days yet, as there are still hunts going on (shoulder seasons). What I can tell you is that there were more opportunities than there were hunters. No one went without a place, most with multiple places. We have added to the 2019 season several more places and there are ranches calling in to be added to the program. As we add classes by region, I see places opening up there. About half of what we did this past year was networking and building relationships with land owners. The only complaint they have had so far was there were not enough hunters to handle the amounts of game.

Apply Here.

Deadline: Jan 31, 2019

Class locations and schedules (tentative):
Missoula: Tuesdays, 6-10, March 13-May 1
Bozeman: Saturdays, 9-5p, April 6- May 4
Billings: Saturdays, 9-5p, May 4-June 8

Cost: $200

HT Thread with Review: Here.

Feel free to pm me questions or ask here on the thread.

406LIFE,

I am interested in the program, I work in Missoula and live down the Bitterroot. I want to confirm the dates you note for Missoula. March 13th is a Wednesday and May 1st is a Monday, you say classes would be on Tuesdays.. Based on your date ranges you list, that would mean there would only be classes on Tuesday, March 19th and Tuesday, March 26th. Is that correct?

Also you say the dates are tentative, when will they be confirmed? I want to seriously consider participating however it is looking like I have to travel for work the week of March 18th.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
406LIFE,

I am interested in the program, I work in Missoula and live down the Bitterroot. I want to confirm the dates you note for Missoula. March 13th is a Wednesday and May 1st is a Monday, you say classes would be on Tuesdays.. Based on your date ranges you list, that would mean there would only be classes on Tuesday, March 19th and Tuesday, March 26th. Is that correct?

Also you say the dates are tentative, when will they be confirmed? I want to seriously consider participating however it is looking like I have to travel for work the week of March 18th.

Thanks for the feedback.

My apologies, the Missoula class will be on Tuesday nights, starting March 12 for 8 weeks. Those are confirmed. There will also be a Saturday and a weekend TBD. We do offer options to make up a class if it is necessary.

Send me a PM if you need more info or specifics.

I considered enrolling until I saw that 5 weeks worth of Saturdays would be required to complete this program. Just not feasible as the weather starts turning nicer. Too many projects that need to get done. I can't figure out where there could be that much content to cover? That's essentially 35 hours of instruction. Wow. Would love to go through the course but that seems like a lot. Their questionnaire leads one to believe they are looking for experienced hunters so, a basic competency level appears to be a pre-requisite. Anyhow, will monitor to see if things change.

Doesn't a program like this only contribute to the privatization of wildlife/commercialization of hunting?

For me personally I'm not paying a landowner a trespass fee.

Just trying to understand this program, please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't a program like this only contribute to the privatization of wildlife/commercialization of hunting?

Although I'm in Alaska, I participate in Master Hunter HT
(that is an AKC retriever hunt test title...)

Anyways, to answer your question, from the FAQ:
Although most of the properties enrolled in our program allow access for no charge, landowners may charge a nominal daily access fee in order to offset costs associated with hunter access on their properties. Our research to date has shown that many Montana hunters are willing to pay a nominal fee for hunting access and understand that there are costs associated with managing public hunting access for private landowners. Overall, the decision of whether or not to charge a nominal access fee will be left up to each individual landowner and will be specified in each property’s specific “ranch rules

Although I'm in Alaska, I participate in Master Hunter HT
(that is an AKC retriever hunt test title...)

Anyways, to answer your question, from the FAQ:
Although most of the properties enrolled in our program allow access for no charge, landowners may charge a nominal daily access fee in order to offset costs associated with hunter access on their properties. Our research to date has shown that many Montana hunters are willing to pay a nominal fee for hunting access and understand that there are costs associated with managing public hunting access for private landowners. Overall, the decision of whether or not to charge a nominal access fee will be left up to each individual landowner and will be specified in each property’s specific “ranch rules

Thanks for the response. I did read over the website, including the FAQ and I'm not sure that any of that really addresses my questions on the subject.

It's similar to the Block Management program which pays the landowner a modest amount per user day. Do you ever participate in BMA? No I don't think it leads to the privatization of wildlife. It also screens for the landowner, the hunter that wants to hunt on their property. It takes some effort and dedication to complete this program. Most who take the time to go through this program will be responsible, ethical hunters.

Really curious to see what property might be available in Montana.

When I go to huntable.com and search you get this.....? Capture.jpg

The MTMH program isn't selling access or purchasing it. IT is a cooperative between land owners who want to use hunting and hunters as a tool to manage populations and hunters who have received advanced hunting education on a variety of topics, Ethics, laws and land stewardship being key. For those who successfully complete the program, private access is opened up; there is no fee to be paid to the land owner. A majority of the game animals reside on private property in Montana; private property is difficult to gain access; this program is helping to bridge that gap. There is the BMA program, but for some landowners that isnt an option for their management strategy, this gives them a new tool for their toolbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back