Montana elevation for early September

bjochem

Just getting started planning my second elk hunt, we are heading to western Montana. Planning on hunting around Great Falls/Helena area. Question I am running in to already is how low is too low for early September? My first hunt was in the Lemhi zone of Idaho where we spent most of our time above 8k. Heck, we parked the truck at 6400 I think. Now a lot of the area I am looking at is only 5-6k. Should I be concerned or just keep on with the usual landscape aspects, ignoring the elevation? Any thoughts are appreciated.

The elk could be anywhere from the bottom of the big river valley's to the very top of the mountains. Elevation is just a number.

Ignore the elevation aspect, I've seen them from above tree lines to the bottom of the valleys, and everywhere in between.

While I agree with others about elk living at all elevations in September, what you will want to look at is access at various elevations to help you decide where to hunt. In many (not all) areas, the lowest elevation habitats in the valley bottoms are privately owned ranches where you may or may not be able to get access. If hunting public lands, your best access is going to be at the mid and higher elevations. So unless you have good access to low lying ranch property or public lands, my suggestion would be to focus on the mid and high elevations and use other habitat component like water, aspect, food, and remoteness when choosing a place to hunt. Have fun planning your hunt!!

Back